Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Lets talk about tells.......

I don't know how this one hasn't been mentioned yet, but shaky hands! When I first started playing 3/6 live my hands shook with almost every bet, then I graduated to only shaking when I had big hands (which is the tell I am mentioning: shaky hands = big hand), now I don't really shake at all. Though I do tremble a bit when in a kill pot and raising the turn - 24 bucks in 1 dollar chips is alot to stack out there!

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-04-2004, 07:32 PM

Hi warlockjd,
It's doubtful that this ploy will work against truly "solid" players. Particularly suspicious that you wait until they're sure you're aware that they're watching. This is the kind of thing that I was talking about with Dan N. and Jen H. on the WPT--not subtle enough.
If you're going to try this ploy, you should show your "tell" AS you bet, or immediately afterwards, and then take your hand away from your mouth. You're just trying to mimic those subtle unconscious gestures people make. But precisely because it's so hard to pull off convincingly, I stay away from acting. A few poker players are expert observers; virtually none are expert actors.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:35 PM

... and also, if they call you quickly after you fake them out in this way, they're not that solid. If a good player notices a tell that he plans to act on, he doesn't act immediately, so as not to give it away.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:46 AM

I think anyone speaking out loud when betting/about to bet is a great tell.
It allmost allways means they have what they think is a good hand. i.e. "lets get some $ in the pot", "well if noones gonna bet...". etc.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:43 AM

i was once playing in a no-limit game blinds were £10-20 and i kept noticing the player to my right would put his hand over his mouth every time he would say the words raise or call. I thought i was onto a tell only to lose a grate deal that evening.after the game in the bar i got talking to this young man and realised very quickly that this fellow had REALLY bad breath.Only goes to show that in the not so famous words of freud(sometimes bad breath is just bad breath) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 09:58 AM

A player next to me once leaned over and told me to watch out for the old man at the other end. "His hands shake like crazy when he's got a good hand! It's so easy to see!"

I watched him fold to the old man for awhile before I realized that the old man was simply a tight player who only came in with decent cards. His hands shook every time but only because he was 90 years old! I started playing against him appropriately, making the (small) money my new "friend" had scared himself out of.