Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 08:12 PM

Default An interesting way to play quads

I thought I'd use my first post here to give everybody a chuckle. A laugh is certainly all I got out of this hand.

Paradise Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Qc (two pair, queens and fours).
SB shows 4c 4s (four of a kind, fours).
Outcome: SB wins 11.50 BB. </font>

But there's a serious question here as well. Tight-aggressive (at least the way I'm playing it) seems to be vulnerable to slow play. How do you defend against that?
Old 07-05-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: An interesting way to play quads

You played it fine, you limited your loss to 3.5BB with TPTK against Quads. You are supposed to lose to quads. 3.5 is a great damage control to get to the river against them. That said, I am weaker on the river. Against that many opponents with Second Pair, Top Kicker, I check it through. I won't bet when I can check to close the action with something I could not overcall with. My PT results indicate that I do this and I was not pursuaded to answer that way because you lost [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: An interesting way to play quads

Good question.

If I understand you correctly, you mean you can lose a lot of money against opponents who slowplay you. Which is true, but there's a flipside.

In low limits it's usually very incorrect to slowplay. Your opponents are usually making a mistake by doing it, letting everyone else draw cheaply. The money you'll lose against an opponents who slowplays (and beats you) is far less than the money you'll win with a tight aggressive style against any opponent.