Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 07:51 AM

Default A little trouble Bigslick

It seems lately that I am busting out with AK alot recently.
Bubble time in a rebuy tournie on stars I am on the button with AKs and T 30K
Blinds 2K 4K with antes
Late position (loose player been getting pushed about by big stackes) opens for a minimum raise, I have tended to just reraise allin as calling is out of the question and a reraise would put more than half my stack in the middle.
I have been debating whether a smaller reraise to get the blinds to fold then a push if checked to on any flop would be a better scenario.
Any thoughts or comments on how to play this hand would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Results
He called with A 8 os and spicked his 8 on the river, I know I want this call every time because in the long run blah blah blah but with blinds this high even if i know his cards I wouldnt be to disappointed with a fold.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: A little trouble Bigslick

You played it totally right. Anyone who wins a tournament gets lucky, and you gave yourself the best shot at the win. Don't let it get to you.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:14 PM

this is an easy push. You should be indifferent about a call or fold preflop. Many times he will fold, many times you will be dominating him, many times you will be in a coin flip, and very few times you will be dominated.

If you were in the big blind and it was folded to you, I may try a stop and go (flat call preflop and push on any flop). But from the button, you need to push preflop to have any folding equity.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:34 PM

I'm relatively new to tournaments but why not just call? You are closing out the betting so you can't be raised back all in. Take a look at the flop. If it hits you, great. If not, you can bluff all in or pick a spot to fight another day. Why put all your chips at risk at this stage?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm relatively new to tournaments but why not just call? You are closing out the betting so you can't be raised back all in. Take a look at the flop. If it hits you, great. If not, you can bluff all in or pick a spot to fight another day. Why put all your chips at risk at this stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are seeking to get your money in when you have the best of it, AK is a good hand to get it in with. Preflop, you are very likely to have that situation.

If you push preflop, you will sometimes buy the pot from hands that are beating you(middle pocket pairs, suited connectors). If you don't push, then you run the risk of losing to a hand that may have folded. If the board hits 9-5-2, you are going to perk up with your AK, and think you can bluff at it. Low and behold your opponent w/ A9 suited now has TPTK, and calls your all-in. Suddenly, it is you who has a lack of outs, since your A improving doesn't help you against him.

This is not to say that there isn't some wisdom to calling and pushing after the flop. You are far more likely to be ahead right now though than you are postflop when you can be playing against any 2 cards, since the pot wasn't raised preflop.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll direct you to this saturday night ad:

"I think I'll call off nearly 1/3 of my stack with the intention of folding if I miss"

Voiceover: Bad Idea Jeans
Old 07-02-2004, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll direct you to this saturday night ad:

"I think I'll call off nearly 1/3 of my stack with the intention of folding if I miss"

Voiceover: Bad Idea Jeans

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...how many beers did it take to come up with this gem. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some flaws in your strategy:

1. Button is NOT last to act preflop...the BB is last to act, so he may be forced to call an all-in reraise.

2. He is holding <10x...all-in or fold territory

The only thing that makes this a tough descision is being on the bubble. I'm gonna tap in almost every other circumstance. I might fold here (if the short-stack in the tourney has < 4000 chips I will certainly fold).

--Casey
Old 07-03-2004, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that makes this a tough descision is being on the bubble. I'm gonna tap in almost every other circumstance. I might fold here (if the short-stack in the tourney has < 4000 chips I will certainly fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to disagree with you, Casey, but I don't think the bubble should factor in to the decision at all.

Folding AK against a loose player so that I can fold my way to getting my buyin back plus a little change (heck, last night I made the money in the Stars rebuy and still lost $6 [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) just doesn't make sense to me when winning the hand will put me in great position to make a run at the final table.

Maybe I'm too focused on making the final table, but I think folding AK on the bubble against a weak raise by a loose player would have to be -$EV.

Later,
Che
Old 07-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Yeah...it's probably -EV to fold it. Is it +EV to push on the bubble under these circumstances? If the CO is going to call when I push, I'm going to fold here. I think the CO will call close to 100% here.

--Casey