Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 12:56 PM

Default My first 30 $100 + 9 SNG\'s - checkup

Over the last 3 weeks, I have played 28 SNG's on Party, 1 on Paradise and 1 on Pokerstars.

Here are the stats:

1st - 4
2nd - 4
3rd - 6

Total entry fees: $3,270
Total prize money: $4,370 (got a 2nd place at Stars)
Net profit: $1,100

In $ % = 46.7%
ROI = 34.6%

Observations:
I see little difference at the 30, 50, and 100 dollar levels.
Typically 3 players are clueless. 3 are fair but too loose calling raises and big bets with KQ and AJ type hands.
1 or 2 play too tight, especially when the blinds reach the 50/100 level.

Questions:
I realize I don't have a large enough sample to draw any definite conclusions on these numbers.
That being said, has anyone sustained a win rate and ROI like this at the 100 + 9 level?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: My first 30 $100 + 9 SNG\'s - checkup

It seems very high. My ROI range fluctuates in the low 20%. I also see a much more varying talent level with each SNG I play. I also think its rare to see 3 incompetent players, I would say there is an average of about 1-2 per game I play in.

Keep up the good work, results like this would be hard to sustain in the long run, but I suppose they are possible. Are you multi-tabling?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM

No, I never multi-table when I play tournaments.

Thanks for the encouragement. I keep expecting an 0 for 5 streak, but it hasn't come yet...although I'm sure it will.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:43 PM

I think you should try. If your ROI only decreases slightly, overall investment will shoot through the roof.

I personally think that if you could be playing 4 $30 tables, that is much preferred to one $100 table at a time.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:25 PM

Multitabling is fairly difficult. Is there a good guide to the multitabling thought process? I find it can be information overload (I've only tried it once or twice.) Does it become more familiar with time?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:34 PM

It's a skill you develop. Start with two, move to three, then to four. I sometimes do 4 sngs with a stars NL ring game or two in the background. I think players like Astroglide play 8 or so limit tables and chats on IRC.

You obviously can't read your opponents AS well, but if you are active and stay focused, you wont be totally blind either.

As it is always mentioned with multitabling SNGs--stagger them. I actually find them much more slow-paced than multi-tabling 4 shorthanded 5/10 games, which is more labor intensive for me.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:04 PM

What s+g's did you start at. Im wondering when you can expect your ROI to drop considerably. I started in the 5's and my ROI was 54%, moved to the 10's and it upped slightly to 56%, at the 20's which I just recently graduated from my ROI was 86.36%. Its took over a year for me to move from the 5's to the 20's but I did it at a rate which I felt comfortable with. I just recently started the 30's (only played 3 so far)...does it really get that much tougher in the 50's on up? I cant imagine my ROI staying at +50% if everyone else on here says 30% is excellent. I have an example of nearly 200 sit and goes now so I would think that would be large enough to consider valid. FYI I play only one s+g at a time. Should I prepare for a drop or keep my head up and believe I can hit a +50% ROI at any single table level?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Multitabling is fairly difficult. Is there a good guide to the multitabling thought process? I find it can be information overload (I've only tried it once or twice.) Does it become more familiar with time?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just practice. I had trouble with two at first, then got more comfortable and don't feel I lose more than 5% of my ability with two tables going now. I've tried three and can do that but feel i lose a bit more, so stay with two for time being.

It also depends on how how tight you play -- the tighter you are, the more tables you can play.

Adjust your monitor so you can see more of the tables -- that helps for getting a sense of the table play.

And get pokertracker if playing ring gaames. Then its easy to just autotrack your opponents and you don't need to pay as close attention.

--Greg