Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 05:20 AM

Default bet turn/fold river?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Ts Kc (one pair, tens).
Hero shows 8h 8d (one pair, eights).
Outcome: BB wins 5.25 BB. </font>

This hand specifically I probably could not have lost any less; Had I bet the turn, I'm pretty sure the blind wouldn't have gone anywhere with his turned open-ended.

However, in similar situations, should I have bet the turn? If another overcard rivers, check the river? Check or bet any under8 river? Fold if after the river, BB comes out firing?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Re: bet turn/fold river?

You have to, have to, have to bet this turn. There is no indication that you are behind here. If he checkraises you, you can decide which way to go depending on your read, but by all means, you have to bet this turn.

I can count the number of regular 10/20 opponents to whom I will fold this hand to a river bet on two hands. I'd easily call down with almost any ace if I played the hand the way you did.

On a semi-related topic...With all due respect, from what I have seen from you when I play with you, you game seems to better suit a full ring game than a SH game. What has been your experience with those.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:03 AM

how so? do I play too tight?

I used to play 15/30 full for a while, but it seemed like i was staying even or close to it usually. I was beating 15/30 SH for a while, then switched to full, then switched back a month ago. Went on a huge tear for ~2 weeks, but within the last week I dropped down to 10/20 because I took quite a beating after my tear.

My flops seen used to be ~30-33% for SH, and recently I've tightened up to ~23%.

let me know what you think about my game, you can either post here or PM me, either way works.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:44 AM

I have nothing to add to gonores, but I felt like chiming in to emphasize how important it is that you bet the turn here. There is no reason to check the turn that would not also imply that you must fold the river, and none of those reasons are valid, anyway.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:20 AM

I would have folded the river but it all depends on how much of a "wiseass" you are dealing with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 01:30 PM

You're slightly too tight...30% flops seen is closer to optimal than 23%, IMO, but it just seems you are too quick to assume you are beat in a hand...maybe it's just because you're on a bad run lately...meh.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:08 PM

my VPIP is ~18%. I think that is 2 or 3% too tight, but can you really lose by being too tight?

I do kind of feel I am too quick to assume i am beat in a hand... but I still RARELY see myself folding winners... However, I pretty much turn into a check/call mode when someone raises me on a 8528 board with me holding JJ (for example). or if I have 99 and Q and K turn and river, I'd check the river. weak-tight?

When someone decides to make a move with Q7o and 27o against my TPTK, and goes runner runner straight, you kinda get paranoid....
Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 PM

You bet this turn. Folding this to a turn raise isn't a bad play and you don't want to give any free cards when you are ahead. You give him a chance to fold here by betting the turn and you probably get him to check it through with his KT on the river even then.