Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 06:19 PM

Default 10/20 6 max AK hand

Just sat at this table, no info on any of the players. Is not betting the turn a mistake? Is this a good raise on the river?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: samdash is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
[Fold,Call(10),Raise(20)]UTG calls, MP calls, Button folds, [Fold,Call(5),Raise(15)]SB calls, <font color="CC3333">samdash raises</font>, [Fold,Call(10),Raise(20)]UTG calls, MP calls, [Fold,Call(10),Raise(20)]SB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
[Fold,Check,Bet(10)]SB bets, [Fold,Call(10),Raise(20)]samdash raises, [Fold,Call(20),Raise(30)]UTG 3-bets, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, [Fold,Call(30)]SB calls, [Fold,Call(20)]samdash calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
[Fold,Check,Bet(20)]SB checks, [Fold,Check,Bet(20)]samdash checks, [Fold,Check,Bet(20)]UTG checks, MP checks.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
[Fold,Check,Bet(20)]SB bets, [Fold,Call(20),Raise(40)]samdash raises, [Fold,Call(40),Raise(60)]UTG folds, MP folds, [Fold,Call(20),Raise(40)]SB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, between UTG, SB and samdash.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by samdash (15.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
samdash shows Ah Kd (two pair, aces and queens).
UTG doesn't show.
SB shows Ac 5d (two pair, aces and queens).
Outcome: samdash wins 15.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-01-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: 10/20 6 max AK hand

Bet the turn. The pot is huge, and you're giving a free turn to 3 other players on a draw-happy board.

By raising the river, you knock out two possible callers, and you do it at a risk of two bets with a far from nut hand. For less risk, you might have an extra bet, and likely would have gotten at least what you did get.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:50 PM

I definitely bet this turn with TPTK. I don't want to give a free spade to the loser and the pot is already decently sized. If you are afraid of a set I'm sure you'll hear from it on the turn if you bet but at the same time check through the turn and reraising the river seems like way too risky for the possible gain. I bet this turn and then bet if checked to, or just call the river and not reraise.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 PM

Based on the flop/turn action it became clear to me that the 2 people to act behind me had spade draws. I was pretty sure I had a better hand than the river bettor, so raising seemed like the best way to collect an extra bet. I agree about betting the turn, but man, you don't see flop action like that very often.