Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Hasan Habib

Now, in the past, I've been one to not critisize the play of final table participants at the WPT. Mostly because we only see a fraction of the hands and the fact that we see nothing of what happens the other days of the tournament, so we, as observers, cannot possibly see all the credentials of a certain play based on previous plays.

With that said, I have to comment on two plays that Habib made last night that I can see no way making sense regardless of previous plays. In general, I found his overall play to be questionable at best, but these two plays stand out. Just wondering if everyone was with me on this.

Limping for $100,000 on the button with 10 6 offsuit. This play just cannot be good at any point of any no limit hold-em or limit hold-em tournament anywhere ever. nuff said.

Check calling with 83 offsuit (I think this was his hand) on an AA10 flop and then failing to make a play at the pot on a later street. This is just bad poker, there is no other reason to call on the flop if you aren't going to make a play. This is tantamount to handing Martin 200,000 in between hands.

Anyways, just wanted to see what others thought about these plays and others by Hasan or anyone at the final for that matter. For me, I was very unimpressed with Habib's play throughout.

Peace

Goodie
Old 07-01-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Hasan Habib

They weren't the strongest plays but Hasan is a very good player. Limping to stab at a pot is never the worst play in the world-- Remember handing Martin $200k in chips just isn't that big a deal-It's simply not a very large amount of chips. When Hasan made the call with 84 out of position it didn't make a whole lot of sense--But it's far smarter to get a weak read on someone and call $100k and give up when you realize that your read or play is wrong than to be bullheaded and continue to bluff off all your chips (see: me). Hasan limped into several pots and it really doesn't matter what cards you have, especially shorthanded. Of course, I'd prefer to raise and win the blinds, but Hasan's strength is playing hands and Martin didn't appear to be giving up often. If Hasan was constantly limping with crap and having to give up when got raised then his strategy would be a problem--but limping once with crap isn't a problem--if the flop hits martin but really nails hasan he's in great shape to double up.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:17 PM

I could only assume that on the AAT hand he was preparing to bluff and then something about his read changed and he realized he couldn't. I give the guy credit for knowning when to back down. He's too good to make the flop call otherwise.

FWIW- I thought Richard played fantastic. In general I thought the level of play at the final table was one of the best I've seen on WPT.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 PM

Your reply is somewhat contradictory. You say in your reponse to the 8 3 hand that 200,000 was not that much money and then you defend Hasan limping for 100,000 in response to the 10 6 hand. If 200,000 is not that much, then why not raise the 10 6 to 250 or the like? I just don't see the benefit to limping. Maybe you can elaborate.

Secondly, saying that 200,000 is not a lot of money is no defense for handing it to another player. The play was bad and that's all there is. You even said it didn't make much sense.

By the way, I was stunned to see you at the final table last night. I played with you in a foxwoods tourney (330 limit hold em) and you flopped a set against my QQ early on in the tourney. I got a little pissed (sorry about that). Anyways, Great job and tough break Martin hitting that 10 of clubs on yah.

Good luck in the future.

Peace

Goodie
Old 07-01-2004, 03:36 PM

Neither play seems particularly horrendous.

The 84o hands shows incredible discipline to switch reads and NOT make a play at that pot.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:50 PM

Please elaborate how you can think limping on the button with 10 6 offsuit is not horrendous.

Also, disciplined???? are you kidding? His first read was RIGHT, and he failed to follow through. This IS horrendous poker. To swich his read to the WRONG read is not discipline it's bad poker. Make a read and go with it. He made a read (the right one) and didn't follow through. Not good.

Peace

Goodie
Old 07-01-2004, 03:58 PM

Generally I think limping from the button in a shorthanded game first in is horrible play, unless you are trying to trap, and even then I hate it.

But it was an entertaining episode.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:08 PM

Neither play seems particularly horrendous? you've lost your mind.

The second play was horrible anyway you slice it.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general I thought the level of play at the final table was one of the best I've seen on WPT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Some of the final tables are painful to watch.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check calling with 83 offsuit (I think this was his hand) on an AA10 flop and then failing to make a play at the pot on a later street. This is just bad poker, there is no other reason to call on the flop if you aren't going to make a play. This is tantamount to handing Martin 200,000 in between hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I suspect Hasan was attempting to do in this
hand: Since there was no preflop raise, both players could
be fairly confident that his opponent did not hold an ace.
This means that it is very likely that this flop missed them
both. Each player realized this, but also realized that his
opponent realized it. Hasan checked the flop to see what
Martin was going to do. Martin's bet does not mean he hit
the flop at all, he could easily be playing his position,
but he also could have hit the ten. Hasan played the hand
the best way to figure out which. Obviously, he does not
want to be betting into Martin if Martin holds a ten.
The action on the turn will tell Hasan exactly where Martin
is in the hand. Another bet indicates that he has a ten
(which is what happened) but if Martin had been trying to
steal the pot, he most likely would have checked the turn.
If this happens, then Hasan will be able to pick the pot
up easily on the river, as his play would have looked like
he was trying to check-raise the turn with an ace, but was
not able to because Martin checked. The way Hasan played it
gave him the most amount of information regarding whether or
not he would be able to bluff at the pot while investing
the minimum amount of chips necessary to find out. It was
an excellent play.