Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 12:47 PM

Default the worst play ever

Please rip me to shreds. This is about as bad as it gets.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.25 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 (7.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kd As (one pair, aces).
MP3 shows 9d 7d (flush, nine high).
Outcome: MP3 wins 7.25 BB. </font>

I know. Why even bother playing Poker if I'm going to be like this?

Thanks for the criticism.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: the worst play ever

I actually think pf and the flop are OK if you check/raise the turn and bet the river. I would usually 3-bet pf and take control right from the start though.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:21 PM

I wanted to check-raise the turn. But this was after losing roughly 25 BB in a two-hour losing streak. I tend to tighten up a lot when I'm down.

And for whatever reason, I don't like to raise pre-flop with AKo, especially in early position. Just part of my weakness.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to check-raise the turn. But this was after losing roughly 25 BB in a two-hour losing streak. I tend to tighten up a lot when I'm down.

And for whatever reason, I don't like to raise pre-flop with AKo, especially in early position. Just part of my weakness.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

But everyone's already folded by the time it gets to you! Did you have any read on MP3? Unless I know he's a tighty, I 3-bet preflop, bet the flop, bet the turn, bet the river--unless I'm re-raised at any point--then I go into check/call mode and call it down.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM

I think the call preflop is ok...disguises the strength of your hand, especially heads up like this. But a check-raise on the flop is mandatory. I guess the one piece of good news is that you saved yourself a bet or two....
Old 06-28-2004, 01:31 PM

the worst play ever

I got excited when I read the title, but alas, I was disappointed. Tommy's got you beat by a mile.

Your preflop play is alright, as long as you plan to check-raise the turn.

I wanted to check-raise the turn.

Good! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But this was after losing roughly 25 BB in a two-hour losing streak. I tend to tighten up a lot when I'm down.

That's not tightening up; that's weakening up. You really need to kick this mentality and start playing every hand in terms of what gives you the highest EV. And dropping 25 BB in a session is absolutely nothing. My mantra the past 2 days has been, "This game is so freaking swingy," and it is. Down 60 BB's this hour, up 80 BB's the next. It's a stormy sea of SD, big bankrolls required. But that doesn't mean you sacrifice huge amounts of EV to even your keel. Check-raise the turn.

And for whatever reason, I don't like to raise pre-flop with AKo, especially in early position.

This one gets 6 O's on the GoT Boo Scale.

Boooooo!

GoT
Old 06-28-2004, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not good. You should play your best whether you are winning or losing. Tightening up because you feel you have a loose table image is one thing. Tightening up just because you are on a losing streak is another.

[ QUOTE ]
And for whatever reason, I don't like to raise pre-flop with AKo, especially in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]
AKo is a 3-betting hand against many (probably most) opponents, IMO.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo-urns. AKo/AKs is an almost automatic 3-bet against all but the tighest of preflop raisers.

However, it sounds like you want to get better. Posting hands like this is a step toward making your handle ironic. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, losing 25 BB in a session is nothing to worry about, unless it makes you play suboptimally. Then, you're tilting. Are you adequately bankrolled for the games you're playing? Are you comfortable with the stakes?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:26 PM

Carpal/Tunnel. Congratulations GoT. For my money, you are one of a handful of must read posters on this forum.