Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Did he make a bad call or should I be calling more in the blinds?

[ QUOTE ]
2700/(2700 + 3700 + 1500) = 0.34…

So any hand that scores more than 34% against the range of hands that he thinks you might raise with would be plus EV here.

If he thinks you could be raising with unsuited aces then he thinks you are playing at least 20% of your hands. Q3s would appear to be about 35% against that, so a very marginal call in my opinion.

If he thinks you are a rock and need to be in the top 12% say then it’s a fold.

Are you sure there were not any antes? 1000 worth of antes and I think it would be a clear call unless you exposed aces, kings or queens.

All these call all in the blind decisions are rally arithmetic contests, assuming you have something else useful to do when you get knocked out of this tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if these really are arithmetic contests, you should at least do the math right.

He's in the BB, so it's T2700 more to call.

The pot contains T3700 (hero's bet) + T500 (SB dead money) = T4300. (you counted the BB twice)

so he's getting 4300:2700 on his call, or 1.59:1.

1/2.59 = 38.6%

So, it's a bad call unless he has a hand that will win more than 38.6% of the time. A5o vs. Q3suited is about 39% equity. I wouldn't have called, though. It's way too easy to be dominated from that position to be calling off 25% of your stack w/ a hand that is, at the very best, 50%.
If the opponent were raising all in from UTG, it would be a better call, IMO.
Ok, I can't resist....do you see why?