Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: KK under pressure

Would the SB call a raise preflop with 97s (2 pair)? What about T8s (OESD) or 56s (DBBSD)? Any of those offsuit? Would the UTG call preflop then reraise the flop with an OESD plus a backdoor flush draw?

I think two pair is just too unlikely. I see top pair reraise sometimes, especially TPTK. How often does a draw check-raise here? I think that's very fishy, and you said these guys don't get out of line.

I see monsters under the bed all the time, so I have trouble believing myself when I say "fold."
Old 06-26-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: KK under pressure

At first, I thought this was a fold. Then I did the math.

A call commits me to a showdown for a minimum of 3 BB and possibly more. But there's already about 9 BB in the pot and it will have at least 15 in it by the end of the hand. Will kings stand up 20% of the time? You can certainly outdraw 2 pair, and there's a decent chance of A9/9x trying to isolate.

I think what I do here is cap the flop and plan to check behind on the turn.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:30 AM

Default Re: results

in the actual hand, i thought for about ten seconds before folding. part of the reason was that if the raising continued, i didn't know where i was going to dump the hand. another part is that good but not great players tend to reserve check-raises on the flop for pretty strong hands.

as i saw it, aside from a slim chance i was up against an overplayed one pair and a draw, my best hope is that i'm facing two pair and a draw. but given that these opponents were playing fairly tight and not too aggressive, a set is more likely than two pair, T8 or 86; especially for the player who called UTG.

against a more typical brand of party 2/4 opponents i think i would have had a clear call, but in this case i felt a fold was the best play. also, a flop with two to a suit probably would have prompted me to call because of the added possibility of draws pounding the pot. by the way, UTG showed 99 and SB T9s at the river.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:11 AM

Sounds reasonable to me.

Colgin
Old 06-26-2004, 11:00 AM

Good read and good laydown. On this board, with a sane player, a set does seem likely. If I'm SB, I think I bet this flop rather than c/r.