Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Down to 3 players, AK in SB. I am one of two short stacks...

[ QUOTE ]
Saying "I always play to win" may look good on your business card, but if you're not going to at least pretend to take a rational approach to the game, why bother reading these forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. i think thi has to be a push, especially if the payout is 20/30/50.

would you push here if this were a satellite that payed two seats? i think then i'd fold.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:27 PM

This is an all-in or fold situation. There's no in between. Personally if the short stack has 200 chips or less, I would pass and guarantee myself second before worrying about trying to win. The reason being if he has 200 or less left, he's all in on the next hand with any two cards. With 325 chips, he can fold and still have enough chips to play the SB, thus giving him a second chance. In this case you have to go all-in with AK.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:28 PM

If I were the massive chip leader here, playing against 2 players who don't want to go out 3rd, I'd be raising every hand pre-flop, making them give up the blinds or gamble all their chips.

Unless someone goes all-in in front of me, then I'd actually make a decision based on my cards and the pot odds.

By just calling, you're inviting the BB to raise, which is what he did, and what I'd do in his shoes, even without an Ace.

If you push, and he doesn't have an hand, you might take down the pot right there.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:22 PM

I really think you have to push here. Your stack does not allow the luxury of waiting for a better hand. If you get called you still have a great chance of doubling up. I think it was Jason Strasser (2+2 poster) that said, "gamble for 1st place, settle for 3rd." If you lose, so be it. You got all your money in the center with a great hand. There will be another SNG starting in 5 min.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:32 PM

I think you missed my point. As I said, push! We clearly make the same play, me for the right reason, you for the wrong reason. If you think the first or third strategy "applies heavily" as the middle man in a 9000/700/300 stack situation, you might want to reconsider the value of 2nd place$.

btw- I don't get pushed around with AK much (or A7 etc, etc. late game for that matter) and I never suggested he play it weakly.