Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Am I being too laggy?

Here are a few hands from last night that were played at the new Party bad-beat tables (which I highly recommend!) Lately I've been trying to be more aggressive, but I may be overdoing it a bit. Unfortunately I almost never have a read on anyone since I 4-table (plus I suck at getting reads anyway [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

Any comments on how these hands were played would be much appreciated.

<font color="green">Hand #1</font>
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

<font color="brown">How's the preflop limp? Should I consider raising here since I'll almost always get a few coldcallers at these tables?</font>

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

<font color="brown">I bet into the preflop raiser because I was pretty sure he'd raise and we'd end up heads up. This makes it expensive for any flush draws and helps protect my semi-vulnerable hand. Anyone 3-bet here?</font>

Turn: (7.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="brown">Am I being to aggressive by betting out with top pair/decent kicker after being raised on the flop by a preflop raiser? The turn raise makes me start thinking that I may be behind, but the pot is big so I decide to call him down. Anyone lay it down here?</font>

River: (11.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.25 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>

<font color="green">Hand #2</font>
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

<font color="brown">The cap by UTG+1 made me a little nervous, but I decided that i was gonna play strongly if no overcards came on the flop.</font>

Flop: (16.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="brown">Wasn't sure what UTG+1's check after a preflop cap meant, but I decided to bet out. If he had check-raised me, what would be a good line? </font>

Turn: (10.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="brown">I thought it was strange that he bet out on the turn after check-calling the flop, but I decided to raise him anyway since he showed some weakness on the flop. Considering the preflop cap and the weakness on the non-threatening flop, I thought there was a good chance that all he had were some big cards like AK.</font>

River: (16.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19.25 BB, between UTG+1, Hero and BB.</font>

<font color="green">Hand #3</font>
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (2 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

<font color="brown">I felt there was a chance that he was betting out with nothing (since we were heads up), so I decided to try to take control by raising here. Too laggy?</font>

Turn: (3 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

<font color="brown">I was really hoping he would fold to the turn bet after I raised the flop. His call here means that he probably has something that can beat a pair of twos, so I figure I'll just check behind on the river. If he were to bet out on the river, would it be good to fold?</font>

River: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

<font color="brown">Ah, what a sweet river card! I actually knew that the 4 was coming all along, which is why I played my bottom pair so aggressively</font> [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Final Pot: 7 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>
Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Am I being too laggy?

Hand #1:

Preflop: Fine. Some might argue for a raise, but I like encouraging multi-way action.

Flop: I like that you led the betting here.

Turn: This I'm having trouble with. Why would you do this? You've eliminated the competition. IMO this is a hand you want to showdown.

If you thought you had the best hand on the flop why not three bet? I suppose you could argue that three betting the flop doesn't really get you enough information and so maybe he should be tested on the turn with a BB. But, now you've been raised again. What now? Against an unknown I would check call turn and river.

note: if he was not the pre-flop raiser and you thought he was raising a spade draw on the button, then perhaps you could bet the turn to catch him off guard.

Hand #2:

This looks good to me. That is some curious play by the UTG. Maybe he has AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], or perhaps he has and overpair and is just playing very odd.

Hand #3:

I see your point, but why spew chips for 2sb with BPWK?

-Jarid
Old 06-23-2004, 03:42 PM

Hand 1: You bet the flop, he raised, everyone else is dead. Mission accomplished! You have given yourself the best possible chance to win. Now recognize that you are likely behind and any further bets are -EV. Call down and hope you win.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I have been a little LAGish lately, but the important thing is that I'm getting away from my weak-tight tendencies [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Anyway, here are the results:

<font color="green">Hand #1</font>
Hero shows Jc Qc (two pair, queens and twos).
CO shows Kc Kh (two pair, kings and twos).
Outcome: CO wins 13.25 BB.

<font color="green">Hand #2</font>
BB shows 8d Ac (two pair, eights and twos).
UTG+1 shows As Ah (two pair, aces and twos).
Hero shows Jh Jc (two pair, jacks and twos).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 19.25 BB.

<font color="green">Hand #3</font>
Hero shows 4d 2s (two pair, fours and twos).
SB shows Ah 7h (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 7 BB. </font>
Old 06-23-2004, 11:02 PM

arent you unable to use pokertracker while playing the bad beat tables?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:37 PM

Default get the update -nm-

nm