Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Funny thing about Affleck and his win

Moneymaker wins a large field and the talk is that its all about luck in these large tournaments.

Now Affleck wins one and I read posts saying "anyone can win, it was only a 90 player field".

Im confused? Whats the exact field size that makes a win go from luck to skill? Congrats Ben.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Funny thing about Affleck and his win

JayLo - Eat your heart out!!!!

Obviously this (playing poker) was more important than being a chaperone to Jenny.

I'm glad Ben has his priorites set!
Old 06-22-2004, 12:40 PM

people are just idiots.

it's not about the size of the field, but about the size of the blinds in relation to the stack sizes and how fast they go up. you touched on a good point that i never brought up before when i have had this argument in the past.

if you win a 50 entrant tourney, well big deal it's not really an accomplishment, but if you win a 4000 man tourney somehow you are the luckiest man alive.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not about the size of the field, but about the size of the blinds in relation to the stack sizes and how fast they go up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking with snakehead at the Commerce this past weekend about his play in the WSOP main event and he told me something interesting. He said the blinds were so small relative to stack sizes and they increased so slowly that the event had the feal of a big ring game more than a tournament.

BTW, snakehead has the bug, at least for now. He'll be back in next year's WSOP even if he has to pay the $10,000 entry fee (he got in this year via an online satellite). And, he's intrigured about getting into the WPT tournaments although he'd prefer to go the satellite route there.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:11 PM

I would suspect that in this tournament the blinds were set up to be slow, even to eliminate 300+ people (which is probably what they originally planned on), and the small field would make getting blinded off even less likely. Thus, I would think that the skill level is quite high. While you only get one stack to buy, you should have a good chance to win if you play well. The WSOP may also be like this, because the blinds go sooooo slowly. While everyone has to get lucky a few times to win a big one, you may only have to win about 3 coinflips to win the one that Ben won.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:37 PM

i also have the wpt craze lately. i don't even like/watch the show, but i want to get on tv.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 AM

I think it's great that Affleck won. I've always appreciated his acting, and I hope he continues to be a force in the poker world.

On a side note, isn't Vahedi his new tutor (after Annie Duke)? That should've made for an interesting final table.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:51 AM

Default You are very right Syntax

All the losers think they play well , but aren't lucky . It's an explanation that satisfied the ego . On the opposite side , winners win because they are lucky .

- jpp
Old 06-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: You are very right Syntax

anyone in san diego listen to "dave, shelly, and chainsaw"? i was listening at work last night and they were saying once affleck plays against the "real professionals" at the WPT championship he will be the "first one out".

uh, ok then, glad they know what they are talking about.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:41 PM

A win is a Win is a win.......