Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re-steal the steal???

UB .25/.50 NL game
I'm in the BB with about $16 and A8o, 6 limpers and the button makes it $3.50. I've seen him do this with small pairs, JTs and above. I was feeling a little frisky and decided to test his resolve and raised it up to $11.50. Everyone folded except button, who called.

Flop comes 5-6-7 and I push in the rest of my money (all $4.50!).
He calls...turn comes 2, river comes T.

I'm still new to the NL game, so where does this move sit on a scale of horrible to brilliant?

Results in white...
<font color="white"> My A high beats his KQo </font>

Thanks!
Apoc
Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Re-steal the steal???

The subject line of your post is "Re-steal the steal". From this point of view the play is poor. From the standpoint of re-raising for value, the play is better.

The reason it's bad from the re-stealing standpoint is that re-stealing is something that's done when there are deep stacks. These stacks are small, so you're just looking to push everything in with the best of it.

Coming back to the reraising for value. Given your description of your opponents likely raising hands, you're not likely to be dominating any of his hands, but he could be dominating yours. At worst he's likely to be a coin flip. IMO your hand is not strong enough for the action you took. AJ seems about right to me, given your description of his hands. Maybe you'll get some other opinions to draw from.