Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Comment about 7CSFAP...a newbie\'s perspective

I'm relatively new to Stud, but I decided to jump into the deep end (learning-wise, not limit-wise!) with 7CSFAP. I'm not all the way through (I've been really working on 3rd street to this point!), but I just wanted to say a couple things anyway.

The first thing that jumped out was the difference between low-limit books and the advanced series. Most notably, the willingness, and almost the necessity, to try to get heads up against what is very likely a superior made hand when your cards are live.

In the Hold Em literature, higher-level books invariable seemed to say the same thing..."loosen up a bit, don't be weak-tight, and learn to give it up earlier when you're beaten". I actually expected to see that in 7CSFAP, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The second point that really sunk in was discussed in the "Randomizing Hands" essay. There are so many factors that serious players consider in Stud, that to many observers, a smart play can be construed as "tricky". For example, not completing the bring-in when you have a big pair if you can't thin the field in a multi-way pot.

Anyway, it's nice to flex different areas of my brain than I normally do...so I'm glad that I've started to learn more about Stud. I'm also glad that most other people WON'T learn that Stud and Hold Em are vastly different. I love fish.

Mike
Old 06-19-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Comment about 7CSFAP...a newbie\'s perspective

7CSFAP is great upto a point. However, everything is game dependent. For example, playing microlimits stud you can play anything that even remotely resembles a starting hand as people will be playing complete trash for just the price of the bring-in.