Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Quest for Knowelge Hand #6 - KK and flop another

Ahh the beauty of raising preflop with KK and getting another K to go with them.

unless......

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Tilt is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Tilt raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Tilt raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Tilt bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Tilt checks.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.16 BB, between Tilt and BB.</font>

I was not real happy with my play here, but against only 1 player was I out of line?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Quest for Knowelge Hand #6 - KK and flop another

Durring the day today I decided that I was going to try to work through one hand per evening to help with my learning (and possibly someday give something back to the board). So here goes:

The BB was passive throughout, beginning with his cold call pre-flop. If he'd flopped a flush he probably wouldn't have bet out, he'd go for a c/r which he didn't do. (BTW, is it possible that an advanced player who flopped a flush here would have bet out, anticipating your raise so that he could reraise?) He may have gone for a c/r also if he had the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The turn card is obvoiusly very scary but for me, when I flop a set I'm pretty much showing down with it. I'd bet after his check on the turn and If he c/r's I'd just call on the river.

Given the passivity, I guess a bet on the river is in order and if you get raised you make the call.

Scary board, but if you flop a set you're pretty much going to the end with it.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:21 AM

I'd play it the same way. Raise on the flop is SOP.

On the turn you have 10 outs for a good semi-bluff (assuming you are behind, of which there is no indication)

When the river misses you, I check behind. It's too easy for a baby diamond to have hung around. I'm not sure many worse hands would call you, and if he called the turn with a baby flush, he'd call the river too.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:38 PM

His bet one the flop really made me think he was "protecting" a single king, otherwise why not wait to CR me. then the play afterword made me think I was right. The 4 diamond was not what I wanted to see, but against just him, I thought I had a chance.

I was wrong

He showed J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and took the pot
Old 06-19-2004, 01:01 AM

Check the turn.