Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Cold Call Flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($$150.80)
CO ($$82.50)
Button ($$188)
Hero ($$199.75)
BB ($$108.10)
UTG ($$81.45)
UTG+1 ($$220.70)
MP1 ($$60.10)
MP2 ($$200)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $6, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls $5, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($24) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $24</font>, Hero calls $24, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $75.45</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls $51.45.

Turn: ($198.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: ($198.90) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $198.90
<font color="green">Main Pot: $198.90, between Hero and UTG.</font>

How should this hand be played?
Old 06-19-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Cold Call Flop?

I really don't think you should be calling all those bets cold here. You have a bet, a raise, and then a reraise. If you think about that, you are DEFINITELY beat right now, with at least one spiked set out there. Obviously, if you hit your flush, you're golden, but, considering that your overcards are probably not clean outs (they likely have sets), you do not have anywhere near the pot odds or implied odds to call here. Unless you put all these guys on bluffs, which, even at these relatively low limits, is damn near impossible, you should definitely throw your hand away.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:05 AM

I'm the one who played that hand, I am the "hero" so to speak. I called that raise with AQ first of all because UTG is a fish, AQ is golden against him.

On the flop when he bets and the other guy raises to $24, I don't see how I can just fold, at this point it is far from clear that one of them has a set. I don't like raising because the raiser has showed strength, by raising. And he has a big stack behind him. So I just called hoping I could get most of the money in after I hit the flush, not before.

When UTG reraises all in here and the other guy folds, I'm getting good pot odds, about $50 to win $140. As I say, UTG is a fish and he could have a set with his play, but it's not obvious as you Dennischambers seem to think that he spiked a set. And I'm not really clear what you mean by "at least one spiked set" considering the other guy folded, unless you think he folded a set?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:52 AM

i don't know if i could fold there. nut flush draw with 2 overcards.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:59 AM

They could easily have 77 to JJ
Old 06-19-2004, 02:08 AM

My mistake. Since you said "cold-call" the bet, I didn't read the post clearly enough, and I didn't notice that you had called the $24, and then the extra $45 or whatever. I thought you had called them both (the raise and the reraise) cold. I agree with just calling the $24 raise, because they could easily be trying to milk an overpair such as 8s or 9s, and then yes, you have the flush odds after he pushes all-in. Also, I could see him having jacks, and both of your overcards being good. Sorry, I didn't read the post closely enough, and I agree with your play. Hopefully it worked out for you. Sorry and good luck, Andrew