Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 01:10 PM

Default BB Hand -- Does this make any sense?

Typical 8-16 game at the Bike. The CO in this hand seems to be pretty loose and moderately aggressive, but this is the first time I've played with him.

I'm in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. One EP limper, and the CO limps. SB completes, and I check.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet. EP limper folds, CO raises. SB folds, I call.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, CO calls.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Check, check. I show my hand, and CO mucks.

Comments?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: BB Hand -- Does this make any sense?

I like the turn bet, you are probably ahead and have outs if you are not.

on the river, would it be better to bet and fold to a raise?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:52 AM

hi six
you can reraise the flop. heads up, if the flush gets there, on the river you will check, and your opponent will likely check it down. so you need to get the bets in there up front.

on the the turn, if you bet and he raises after you have taken the flop to 4 bets, you can lay it down. so reraising gives you valuable info those times you are drawing dead. if the fourth flush card doesn't get there, then reraising gives you value along with enhancing your ability to get the free showdown on the river. in every case, the free showdown is your primary consideration. secondary of course is stopping the turn raise that will drive you out. so you need to represent the highest completed flush that you can, even if you think that your opponent wouldn't think that you would bet the nuts strongly on the flop. often, betting powerfully will give your opponent pause to consider that possibility and slow him down. you need to slow your opponent down and get the bets in there while you can. you need to see that you cannot bet the river under any circumstance.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:46 PM

Hi Six,

Yes, it makes sense. He probably had a high spade, and wanted the free turn which you denied him. Nice play.