Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Help please ..20/40 on paradise

OK, so you know the preflop raiser is a maniac. A guy UTG calls. The maniac does what he does best. Everyone folds to you in BB. You have a choice between 2 actions: raise or fold. Calling is horrible.

I would personally 3-bet and get UTG to fold. You want to be heads-up with the maniac, and position doesn't matter too much. Once I flop an A, I'm capping the flop. The only exception is if UTG is still there....and he is because you let him stay.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:37 PM

Don't forget that the limper likely knows that you know he is a maniac, and if you routinely try to isolate him out of position, other players will feast on both of you, or at least be much more likely to call.

I'm not saying not to isolate a maniac, but unless you are dead sure it's going HU, no way you should play the A8. Also don't forget that there are many different species of maniac. If he won't automatically bet every street for you, that A8 looks much less attractive.

I was once an isolation junkie, myself.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:29 PM

With the ace maybe, the eight never! Ask yuorself what possible hands this MP preflop caller could halve? Especially considering he is expecting to be raised. Im thinking Groups 1-3 HPFAP. Probably only 1 and 2. Then compare that 2 flop. Do yuo really want to call him down if another spade falls.