Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 09:55 AM

Default 1-4-8-8 Limit? What to play in Vegas live games?

Taking my game to Vegas next week. I have never been. Any advice? My thoughts:

1) Do I want to play at the NOVICE 1-2 tables? Will any skill I have be useful or will it negated by total FISH taking turns drawing out on me, or is this what I want?

2) It is rational to think moving up to 3-6, 4-8, 5-10 will change anything or will there be wealthier FISH at these levels?

I am only taking $1000 to play poker with. My target was a 5-10 game initially.

What is 1-4-8 or 1-4-8-8 betting structure mean and will I screw myself up mentally/psychologically/theoretically if I try to play in these games since I have always played 1-2, 2-4, 3-6 etc....?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Re: 1-4-8-8 Limit? What to play in Vegas live games?

Don't bother playing the 1/2 games - they're ridiculous. The 3/6 games are just slightly less ridiculous and are plenty profitable for anyone who has any understanding of WLLHE. As for the spread-limit games, there's only a couple more things to think about. My suggestion is that if you're going to bet, just bet the max - don't dick around betting $1. You will, however, see people betting some smaller amount that will allow for you to keep with your draws for cheap. Take advantage of that. Some of the bigger idiots will pretty much tell you how strong their hand is by how much they bet. Pay a little bit of attention and you should be able to pick these guys out quite easily.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:38 AM

Thanks Patrick. This "Spread Limit" must be the 1-4-8 or 1-4-8-8 advertising I am seeing at the Poker Rooms in Vegas. Could you elaborate a little on these betting structures?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:43 AM

1-4-8-8 *** Is this defined as Progressive Limit as opposed to Spread Limit? I am guessing this means Blinds are 1 and 4. Bet is 4 on the flop. Bet is 8 on the Turn and River.

Yes?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 AM

You can bet anywhere between $1 and $4 in the first two rounds of betting and up to $8 on the turn and river. My advice is to generally treat it like a weak 4/8 game but with the occasional chance to see another card on your draws for cheap when your idiot opponents bet only $1 or $2. You may want to occasionally bet less than the max for deception/trapping purposes, but my axiom is to not be a whimp and bet it like you mean it.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:24 PM

I would suggest you play the Excalibur 1-3 or 2-6 games..or the Monte Carlo/Mandalay Bay $4/$8...

VC