Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Flopping Trips

I was in a multi about 6 months ago, and I wanted an opinion on how I should of played a hand. About 120 people half the field was gone blinds 100-200 I am on the small player on the big is a loose agressive notoriously bad player that I know well, and play a weekly home game with. The player on the button had just been moved to our table never seen him before. Everyone folds to the button who calls. I see K J offsuit in the small, and just call. Big Blind checks. Flop comes K-K-6 rainbow. I check Big Blind bets 200 button raises to 400 before I even get a chance to think about what the world is going on here the big blind says I'm all in before I even call which upsets me highly. Knowing he would do this with any K, or maybe even A-6 I say wait a minute here it's my turn, and I am all in.(by the way I am not a short stack, but the short stack of the three) At any event he calls button folds and he turns over K-Q no help comes to me, and I am out of the tourney. Thinking back I probably should have just got out of harms way and folded especially not knowing the button. Wanted your opinions. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Flopping Trips

Yeah. When a player gets so excited that he's announcing his all in out of turn it's got to make you stop and wonder. Just because he's a bad player in your opinion doesn't mean that he will never catch cards. In my opinion this is an easy fold and I'd make sure to thank the BB for making what could have been a tough decision later an easy one. I'm guessing button has pocket aces, but I'd suspect the BB has plenty of hands that beat you here, including K6, 66, AK, KQ or ties you with KJ. Your only hope in this hand would be that he's on a weaker king, but I'd still muck considering the way he reacted.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:35 PM

Thanks for your opinion. Also earlier in the tournament I was dealt pocket Aces Blinds 10-20 everyone at about 1000 don't remember my position, but I raise 100 (little big?) two people call including the button who I haven't seen play many hands. Flop comes 6-10-10 rainbow I bet out 200 first player folds button calls. Turn is a Queen I bet out 200 again this time he raises me 300. I think for about 10 minutes and fold. Later he tells some guy he bluffed me out. How should I have played this hand?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:54 PM

I would not have been man enough to lay this down. With only three players seeing the flop, everyone is going to assume that a king is the best hand, so an all-in from the BB doesn't necessarily mean king + good kicker. He's in the BB so he could have anything.

What confuses me is why you would insist on being the one to push all-in after he acted out of turn. What if he had, I dunno, TT, and decided to fold? Just call the bet, now his action stands, and you can see what the button does before acting.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:46 PM

Thanks that is an excellent point I guess I was just aggrevated by him skipping me, and just got antsy.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:43 AM

How about the Aces??