Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Pushed off the nuts preflop?

You just sat down in a 10/20 6 max on party. UTG raises and another player 3 bets. What do you do with AQs in the small blind. Assume nothing about either opponent. Also what do you do with 88 here?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Pushed off the nuts preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
You just sat down in a 10/20 6 max on party. UTG raises and another player 3 bets. What do you do with AQs in the small blind. Assume nothing about either opponent. Also what do you do with 88 here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call or cap with AQs - I don't think it matters very much - but I don't like folding. AQo I've folded sometimes in that spot but only when I'm up against tough opposition.

88 might be even a tougher case. I've called, folded, and raised in that spot, depending on how my opponents play postflop. At a table of unknowns, I'd probably fold.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:08 PM

Yeah, AQs is just too much goodness to surrender here. You'll know what to do on the flop. I think 88 is just too hard to play in this spot. You most likely have the best hand, but will occasionally run into a bigger pair. Then you could be against 2 hands like KJ and AQ which isn't good either. But so often you'll see these jokers turn over K6s and pocket 4's. Are you better off just folding here and waiting for a better time to play 'whack-a-mole' with these chuckleheads?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, AQs is just too much goodness to surrender here. You'll know what to do on the flop. I think 88 is just too hard to play in this spot. You most likely have the best hand, but will occasionally run into a bigger pair. Then you could be against 2 hands like KJ and AQ which isn't good either. But so often you'll see these jokers turn over K6s and pocket 4's. Are you better off just folding here and waiting for a better time to play 'whack-a-mole' with these chuckleheads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate folding there, but because the hand requires a fair amount of dexterity to play postflop, I want to have a pretty good idea of how my opponents play before I get involved ... saying that I'd fold against unknown opponents is different than saying that I'd fold against known, "typical" opponents.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:28 PM

Typical 10/20 party opponents don't 3-bet preflop w/o AK IMO.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:30 PM

Vehn, I agree with you in theory.