Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 10:33 AM

Default TT or 99 in BB in a raised multi-way pot

I was wondering what line people like to take given this situation with good medium pairs in the Big Blind:

Assume 2/4 limit. 3 or 4 limpers, button raises, flop gives hero an overpair or secondpair (with say a Queen).

I've been calling preflop and often betting out the flop--definately betting out with second pair, maybe checkraising with the overpair. I find that betting out does put pressure on the limpers because of a fear of a raising war, so it does some of the work of the check raise. But do you feel a check raise is mandatory if table conditions are right (passive limpers and aggressive raiser)? Anybody 3 bet pre-flop?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: TT or 99 in BB in a raised multi-way pot

I prefer betting out to check raising. When you bet out and represent top pair then get raised by the pre=flop raiser you have a better idea of where you stand.

What do you do if you c/r and then the pre-flop better 3 bets? You have no more information but it cost you another SB.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 AM

I bet out. If you have top pair, it is most likely good a large percentage of the time. Since the PF raise came from the button, checkraising would do nothing but shut your opponents out of the hand since they are faced with 2 bets cold.

On the other hand, betting out should get those who hit a peice of the flop to call your bet and possibly 1-2 more just on the flop, if the PF raiser raises your flop bet.

Haupt_234
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 PM

With the raise preflop creating a largish pot you're probably gonna wanna shut out the field, no?

Allan
Old 06-17-2004, 10:23 AM

You want to shut out the field with 5 or 6 Big bets in before the flop. So if you are confident the bet will come from the pre-flop raiser a check raise would be the play (if the limpers are passive and the raiser is aggressive). However a button bet with limpers might not signify as much strength--it's maybe something like JTs--so it seems hard to count on the bet coming from there. Also there is a risk that you are way behind a big pair. So that is why I like betting out. Other opinions?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:06 PM

Hey Captain-swing:

In the situation you describe, I would lean more toward c/r than betting out, especially if the preflop raiser on the button bets most flops after he raises preflop. I would rather protect my hand by facing the field with calling 2 rather than the "implied" threat of an impending raising war that results from leading out. Also, if you lead the flop, many aggressive players will raise the flop from the button with just overcards and some backdoor draws, but very few will 3 bet with the same types of hands. So it is easier to get away from when you are beat, and at the same time, puts more pressure on your opponents, including the preflop raiser when you are ahead.

--Rico