Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Backgammon info

[ QUOTE ]
The rec.games.backgammon archive is great, and includes book reviews. If you are serious, you will want Magriel's Backgammon, but there are many other good books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to take a trip to your local library, it's a resource that's all too often overlooked nowadays. I was able to borrow a number of backgammon books -- then only purchase a copy of the one that I found easiest to read and understand (Jacoby's 'The Backgammon Book').

I would like to read Magriel but it is out of print at the moment and copies go on ebay for rather more than I'm willing to pay. (anybody looking to sell a copy? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 06-09-2004, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Daliman, have you ever been to the Museo-Teatro de Dali in Figueras? I'll never forget that place!

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, just the Dali Museum in St petersburg, FL.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, Daliman, have you ever been to the Museo-Teatro de Dali in Figueras? I'll never forget that place!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention that....I just got back from a 3 week vacation to Spain and Italy. My girlfriend is obsessed w/ Dali. So we figured we would take the two hour train ride from Barcelona to Gerona and Figures to see the famed Dali museo. We had a Lonley Planet tour guide that said "Figures is a sleepy little town, some might call it a dive, that has exactly one attraction, Salvador Dali." So, we finally get there after carying our luggage through the cobblestone streets to our hotel. As we are checking in we ask directions to the museum.
The lady says "Sabes que el museo esta cerrado en los lunes, verdad?" (Rough translation: you know you're fukced, right?)
It was a monday, by the way. We had to go back to Gerona to fly to Rome early the next day...

So, we spent the afternoon taking pictures of the outside of the building w/ all the loaves of bread stuck on the purple walls and the giant eggs on the roof.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:58 PM

I've heard this story before, and I believe that "Simon Jones" is Mike Svobodny. Mike is among the top 25 players in the world. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2004, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to read Magriel but it is out of print at the moment and copies go on ebay for rather more than I'm willing to pay. (anybody looking to sell a copy? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Carol Joy Cole sells backgammon books and equipment, including the new paperback version of Magriel's Backgammon ($45). I've bought a lot of stuff from her, and will buy more in the future.

The cover falls off the paperback, but your local library might rebind it for you. Print shops can also rebind it, but they will charge more than a library would and they don't have as much experience.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:54 AM

Thanks. That's quite a bit cheaper than the GBP55 (almost dead on $100) that all of the sellers on Amazon Z-shops are asking for!

I'll just have to make sure that I don't end up paying far too much for shipping.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Carol Joy Cole sells backgammon books and equipment, including the new paperback version of Magriel's Backgammon ($45). I've bought a lot of stuff from her, and will buy more in the future.

The cover falls off the paperback, but your local library might rebind it for you. Print shops can also rebind it, but they will charge more than a library would and they don't have as much experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-16-2004, 11:02 AM

Ouch, Sossman, that hurts! To be so close, yet.... Well, you'll just have to make another trip to Spain one of these days, huh?! I love that country, including Figueras, which I found to be a very quaint, friendly little town.

Your experience in Figueras reminds me of when I was in Amsterdam back in 1990 and wanted to see the special Van Gogh centennial exhibit. Turned out that scalpers had bought up all the tickets and were re-selling them for hundereds of dollars each! I was practically broke after backpacking around Europe for a coupla months, so I missed the chance to see the biggest-ever exhibit of one of my all-time favorite artists.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard this story before, and I believe that "Simon Jones" is Mike Svobodny. Mike is among the top 25 players in the world. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't heard that "Simon Jones" was supposed to be Svobodny. My understanding from the Cigar Aficionado article (or maybe something I read elsewhere) was that a lot of the top players are jealous and/or amazed that this "Simon" does so well, since he's NOT a top player. The implication being that he makes up for what he lacks in BG skill with "people" skills.

Also, I thought Svobodny was American. This "Simon Jones" guy is from the UK.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, just the Dali Museum in St petersburg, FL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that's a very good museum too, but haven't made it down there yet.

But if you're a true Dali fan, you just gotta make the pilgrimage to Figueras some day, Daliman! They've also got a couple of his earlier works at one of the museums over in Madrid, which is also a great city with tremendous nightlife.

BTW, how's the backgammon coming along?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They've also got a couple of his earlier works at one of the museums over in Madrid, which is also a great city with tremendous nightlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, it's pretty good. It has, I think, two or three Dali pieces (including the one w/ the tigers and the elephant w/ the huge legs, i forget the name)
It also has this famous van gogh.