Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: I think I found a leak!

David,
Do you routinely raise in the CO with KT, QT? Assuming loose, passive table?

-Pokergod
Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM

Do you routinely raise in the CO with KT, QT? Assuming loose, passive table?

This is going to depend on the number of your opponents, what type of preflop mistakes they may be making, the chance of it being limp re-raised and weather you hold KTs or KTo.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 06-15-2004, 12:37 PM

What about KQo?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:50 PM

KQo, depends on the number of limpers and type of table you are on. I raise w/KQo when first in, all types of games.

I raise it in LP after limpers mostly too. I limp in MP after a few limpers, sometimes I raise with it.

I check my option in the BB w/it, raise it after 2 terrible limpers say.

KQs I surely raise in an unraised pot from any position versus any number of limpers, not sure what nykenny is thinking with that comment.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-15-2004, 02:46 PM

Your travelling partners are right. On Sunday you came over to my table and told me about a hand you played, "I limp with QJo UTG." I was going to say something right there, but I didn't think it was the time or place.

I do think you are playing too many hands in EP. Another time I saw you limp UTG with K9s, which I don't like.

For the first couple of years I played, I would usually limp in with any two face cards in EP. It wasn't until I started playing online that I realized how much that was costing me. Even though I knew about the importance of position, I didn't actually vary my play by position very much and that is a costly mistake.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another time I saw you limp UTG with K9s

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the last hand I played Sunday. I did it because you were watching. I would muck that 1000 times in that spot (and maybe raise once [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

[ QUOTE ]
On Sunday you came over to my table and told me about a hand you played, "I limp with QJo UTG." I was going to say something right there, but I didn't think it was the time or place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always trying to improve my game. Anytime would have been a good time for me. If it wasn't a good time for you, thats a different story. However, if we are at Foxwoods, and I tell you about a hand, its usually because I am looking for some immediate feedback, not because I like to cry [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I usually tell those "on the fly" stories to people whose play I respect. They usually know what they are doing, and I'm only gonna get better by talking things out.

Joe
Old 06-15-2004, 07:16 PM

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for responding to this. This was some great feedback. It is the main reason why I read something from this site almost every night.

Thanks again to everyone.

Joe
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 PM

I think you're right in the leaks in your game; might i suggest reading "Winning Low Limit Hold'em" by Lee Jones. It addresses more of the specifics of low limit games where you typically have more players seeing the flop, and therefore better odds to play draws.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the game you described, i wouldn't really raise with KQs from any position

For some reason I don't think it'll be too long before we see another losing streak post. You should be raising KQs in nearly every position.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

bad attitude, joe. and you are wrong. about my possible losing streak. I HAVE NEVER HAD A LOSING STREAK, tho i have lost before. i have had a few good winning steaks however.

anyway, good luck in your grinding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Peace.

Kenny
Old 06-15-2004, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KQo, depends on the number of limpers and type of table you are on. I raise w/KQo when first in, all types of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I muck some of the times up front, call most of the rest of the times.

in MP or LP i usually open raise with it or raise behind 1 or two bad limpers (like Joe Tall would do).

i almost never call a raise with KQo, to me, raise (10%) or fold (90%), adjusting with a modifier derived from how loose the open raiser is and how likely he is on a steal raise.

[ QUOTE ]
KQs I surely raise in an unraised pot from any position versus any number of limpers, not sure what nykenny is thinking with that comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't agree with that, joe.

well at least that's not how i'd like to play KQs. usually,

in EP, i limp most of the time; in MP, i either over-limp or open raise; in LP i will raise with it most of the time, regardless of how many limpers.

facing a raise, i usually fold, and 3 bet a very small percentage of the time (like with KQo). if there are more than 3 already in the raised pot, i might take it to the flop (some of the times). with more than 4 likely opponents, i always call or reraise (rarely) in a raised pot.

all in all, i like KQo or KQs as long as there is no raise, but I don't like to invest too much out of position or against decent (or half decent) opposition.

hope this make sense, but open for disagreement.

Kenny