Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Hand that had me by the short hairs

Last night's what else, PS $11 rebuy, Level V, blinds 75/100. I doubled up first hand after the rebuy period with AA UTG, fellow with 66 went all-in after the flop--insert cackle here--then was moved to new table where I am the chip leader with 14070.

I have 99 in the CO, and the action is folded to me. I have been trying to vary my play of medium to small connectors, limping sometimes, open-raising sometimes. Here, I decide taking the blinds would be just dandy, so I raise to 450. Button, with a stack of 12805, raises to 1050.

Well yuchhhh! Think, think, think, call. My thinking is I'll look at the flop for the extra 600, and make my decision from there.

Flop:6 10 7 rainbow

Well, it's not my set, but if Button has AK, that's a good flop for me, so I bet the sucker. Bet 2700, anticipate the fold , and get...call.

Ugh.

Turn6 10 7) 4 completing the rainbow.

No flush possible, I'm willing to bet button wasn't playing 35, 58, or 89, so straights are not an issue, so, gulp, I'll bet again. I make a weak 2550 bet--not my finest moment--and predictibly it is called.

River: (6 10 7 4) A!!!

Well now I'm just depressed. I've put 6500 into this pot, and I'm going to have to abandon it, I guess. I feel like I've misplayed this hand at every step of the way, with the exception of my initial bet.

If you have any thoughts, comments, or predictions of what the Button held, make them now, and I'll make a follow-up post with the results.

Doug
Old 06-15-2004, 01:41 PM

Default RESULTS

Tail between my legs, I checked, and was vaguely heartened when Button checked after me. (I think I would have folded to a minimum bet, I was so displeased with my play.)

To review: I was holding 99 and the board was 6 10 7 4 A.

Cards were reavealed and Button was holding

wait for it...

99!!!

And suddenly, all was right with my world. Except, of course, that I don't think I could have played the hand much worse. But it was nice to get a lesson at no cost. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug
Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Hand that had me by the short hairs

I don't like the turn bet. Either BET the hand or check. Weak bets in situations like this are just what they are, weak.

I can only see a worse hand like 88 calling here and JJ/QQ calling these bets.

Peace,
Joe Tall