Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 08:49 PM

Default I gotta call this river, right?

getting 15-1 there is no way I can lay this down, right? It's not even close?

I should be completing this small blind, too, right?

How bout my 3 bet on the turn?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB calls, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets, hero ?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: I gotta call this river, right?

I know the orthodoxy is to call preflop with any two when the small blind is 2/3, but when I factor in my present skill level, I fold this emesis.

Yah, 3-bet the turn to maximize against a drawing BB.

Some off-the-wall river guesses:

BB=FH (30%)
Straight (40%)
3 fives, better kicker (5%)
3 fives, worse kicker (5%)
pair+oesd that missed (15%)
two pair (5%)
you win 25%, must call river.

Lets go further:
FH 45%
Straight 45%
3 fives, better kicker (2%)
3 fives, worse kicker (2%)
pair+oesd that missed (4%)
two pair (2%)
you win 8%, must call river
Old 06-14-2004, 09:21 PM

I don't understand why you're so anxious to get away from this hand. He could easily have a 5 with a worse kicker, 87, 86, A7 of hearts, AA, KK, QQ, or could be going way too far on a semi-bluff.

I'm calling with 5-1 odds here. At 15-1 heads-up, I'm beating him into the pot with my chips.

(I don't like completing with 95o here, I'd make sure I had at least 2 limpers with a hand this bad for cover, or want something slightly better, like 96o or 95s).
Old 06-14-2004, 09:25 PM

I was never planning on folding, but just the feeling i got during the hand that I wasn't winning. I cried a ton when I did in fact, call.

I didn't think it was that close, either. I just wanted to hear what others had to say.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:54 AM

Well, of course, without knowing anything about the BB, it's impossible to say.

So, I'll just assume, since apparently that's what the poster wants us to do, that the BB is a normal player.

BB calls the flop, calls the turn THEN COMES BACK AND CAPS IT against two opponents who have shown a ton of strength on the turn. He has AT LEAST an 8-high straight.

But, more important (cuz this isn't based on as far fetched assumptions), I don't think you should assign equal likelihood of "trip 5s worse kicker" and "trip 5s better kicker". The BB will likely raise the flop with 54 or 58 (pair and OESD), so a 5 is more likely to have a better kicker than a worse kicker.

Live, I think that this is an easy fold. Online, just cuz players are more likely to do the "instantaneo-tilt-click-raise" maneuver, I may call the river.

Of course, since you left out ALL PERTINENT info (by not describing your opponent), this post is 100% pertinent-less.

Josh
Old 06-15-2004, 01:04 AM

Well if I had a read ont he guy I would have posted it. From the few hands previous he didn't do anything worth getting written down.

You had all the info I had during the hand.

I didn't have any on the button, either.

I do agree that capping it after all that aggression says quite a bit.

I still called though cause of no reads and it's a buldging pot.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:09 AM

Yeah, I'm calling this down, although I'm not liking it.

Since you don't have a read I would be wanting to know this about BB (what does he limp-cap with on the turn) for the price of a single river bet which might just win?

I reckon he had a made straight on the flop or more probably a full house. Most of the answers round here are often suited connectors blowing out other hands [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2004, 08:24 AM

I know the rationale in this structure, as others have mentioned above, is to complete the small blind -- but I don't like it, not with this few in there. Put in another two or three, sure, whatever -- but not in this situation with those cards.

River -- call him down, sure, you might lose, but you definitely beat enough of his potential hands to warrant the call with that pot.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
"Save Your $5 In The SB"
Old 06-15-2004, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should be completing this small blind, too, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 95o, getting 8-1 in the SB I fold this 100% of the time. Maybe I should be thinking about this some more, I think I fold it most times even getting 11-1.

My thinking: I think the odds at 28-1 (Is that right?) of flopping 2 pair or better. Obviously your implied odds are pretty big, but that is at least partially balance by the fact that sometimes the BB will raise and you will have to muck. there are not many hands worse than two pair that you can do anything with in EP.... is it silly to fold a total trash hand getting 11-1?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:56 AM

I complete every single time here and i think it's a decent mistake not to.

Firstly your 1 pair will be winning a large percentage of the time. Secondly you are getting 8:1 on them. Thirdly, your implied odds on the flop are from a $5 call preflop, and yes, worse hands will call on the flop.