Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Calling an all-in because you are bored?

Two hours into a micro buy in multi table NLHE internet tournament, I'm at about $1800, the blinds are somewhere around 150/300, we're still about 100 away from the "money" and a good 180 away from the good money.

It was getting late, going so slowly, and it's no fun playing short-stacked this far into a tournament. I felt I needed something to jump-start my stack and allow me to start making plays at the blinds. I admit I was starting to get bored. I got 88 in MP. EP goes all in for 430 chips, I call, LP who has the same stack size as me raises all-in, I think for a second and say to myself "I gotta make a move sometime", so I call.

So, what do you think?

results:
<font color="white"> EP had 22. LP had KK. Flop came K92, turn was a J. And I'm toast for calling a large raise with a medium pocket pair and playing while in the wrong frame of mind. </font>
Old 06-14-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Calling an all-in because you are bored?

I think you should have gone all in over the top in the first place.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:48 PM

I'm curious as to why you think that. It's definitely a problem that I have... knowing exactly WHEN to take those chances.... ( I usually wait until it's too late, with something like 600 chips)

Should I have had the "coinflip" mentality at that stage (and those blinds)?
Besides the three of us who actually went all in on this hand, everyone else at the table had much larger stacks, and things were definitely starting to loosen up, with some of the larger stacks taking some swipes at the blinds and us smaller stacks... people were betting large with stuff like AJo.
so instead of leaving my fate to a coinflip of sorts, I had thought that it would be better to tighten up a bit and push when I really had somewhat of a hand. Obviously I let boredom win out and I opted for the excitement of a coinflip.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:00 PM

If you're going to play this I think you need to push in yourself. Just calling for 1/4 of your stack is inviting others to play too. You don't need any more overcards to play against you.

However, I don't like playing a middle pair against someone who is already all-in. I'd rather be the first in with this hand. I think I fold.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, I don't like playing a middle pair against someone who is already all-in. I'd rather be the first in with this hand. I think I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's in EP with less than 2BB 88 is often pretty good here. Pushing isn't too bad IMO.