Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 04:31 AM

Default Mistake with KK?

Four players left from a small 3-table limit hold'em tourney. Top three get paid. I'm the short stack with T4000 left. Blinds are T500/1000. I've got K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG folds, I raise to T2000, both blinds call. Flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB bets T1000, BB calls. I fold.

I have to figure I'm up against an Ace, and the three clubs on the board without having one myself is pretty scary. I folded and hoped that the big stack would win, but the smaller stack won the hand with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. against 77. Final board was 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Was this a mistake? Given my small remaining stack and the size of the pot, should I have just called and prayed?

T
Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Mistake with KK?

"I'm the short stack with T4000 left. Blinds are T500/1000. I've got KK. UTG folds, I raise to T2000"

Your mistake is raising to T2000. You only have 4X the BB and you're sitting in EP. Clearly, an all-in is the correct play because you STILL might have been called by KQo and 77. Raising 2X the BB, which meant half your stack in EP then FOLDING on the flop has to be a -EV. You're forced to make a tough decision on the flop, which happened to you.

Go all-in.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:39 AM

It was a limit tourney, as I stated in my original post. So raising to T2000 was my only choice.

T
Old 06-14-2004, 04:42 AM

My fault. I'm so use to reading NL posts.

In that case, I think you made the right decision. Flop came Ace high, all clubs, and you weren't holding one.

Fold. Forget about the results. You made the correct DECISION.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:56 AM

There was a typo in my original post. I said the BB had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He actually had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. That's why he won the hand, a pair of Jacks against 77. Sorry about that.

T
Old 06-14-2004, 03:09 PM

how big are the other stacks? would they call your 1k raise with any 2 cards? Would they reraise you if they had an ace? How soon before the blinds increase?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:57 PM

Hi,

If your going to fold to an A high flop after putting half your chips in, fold preflop or just limp in. You have almost NO chance at making 3rd if you fold so calling here costs you nothing.

If your stack was bigger, I'd say maybe you could think about folding but you have 6 hands left roughly. I'd think your 3rd K comes more often then you'll find a playable hand before your blinded out.

I'd just raise and hope he was semi-bluffing which is common for a blind to do when they flop a strong draw, but I'm playing this to showdown.

When its 4 handed any piece of the flop is worth betting in hopes everyone else missed which is why you saw the 77 call along.

And this is a good place for a bluff as the board is scarey enough with an A and 3 clubs.

MarkV.