Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Raising to isolate. Good move or not??

My thoughts in italics

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls.

The raise from CO could mean any number of things. I'll 3bet and try to get heads up against him. If an overcard hits on the flop, I'm ready to bail.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Excellent flop for me combined with the fact that he didn't cap pre-flop means I'm most likely ahead. I better get some money into this pot.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

The 3rd diamond isn't the best card for me, but it's low. I'm not too worried yet.

River: (10.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

There's the dreaded overcard, but he didn't seem to like it. I better get one more bet out of him.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Kc Kd (one pair, kings).
Hero shows 9s 9c (one pair, nines).
Outcome: CO wins 12.20 BB. </font>

Two questions:
1. Is the pf 3bet okay here? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't fold this, but coldcalling doesn't really look like a good idea either. So I kinda re-raised out of default.

2. Should I continue being the aggressor throughout the hand, or should I have just called him down at some point?
Old 06-13-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Raising to isolate. Good move or not??

I don't have a problem with 3-betting before the flop. (That doesn't mean a whole lot, however.)

Staying agressive is good, but the weird action would spook me. After the way it went with the stop-and-go stuff, I think you can check behind on the river unless you think this guy will pay off a bet w/ just overcards.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Check behind on the river.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:45 PM

Wow that one is hard. Check at the river. But one question, should you feer the flush at the turn? If he would have 3-beted at the turn, should you dropp then? I know that I probably would. Is that week?
Old 06-13-2004, 06:46 PM

3-bet is good, you don't have limpers to create set-odds, and a 3-bet isolates them nicely. good play.

aggressiveness is fine here, although i agree that unless the player will call down with an unimproved ace, a river check is fine. If they call down with ace high, then you must bet.

Note no PF cap, and weak calling with KK. This player is way too passive, and you should be proud of the number of bets you saved.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 06-13-2004, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I thought my play preflop was good here, and you guys confirmed that. Upon review, I definitely think my river play was bad here. This is a situation where he's only going to call if he has me beat. I should have checked through and saved a bet.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:33 PM

I like this play. I would be worried being bet into on the turn, but since he just called your raise, I think you're fine betting the river (but I do tend to take unimproved pocket pairs too far...).