Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Stealing the blinds with a mediocre hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter

7 left in a 2-table SNG on PokerStars.

SB (t3847)
BB (t785)
UTG (t6150)
MP1 (t4510)
JACKI (t3060)
CO (t4445)
Button (t4203)

Preflop: JACKI is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, JACKI raises to t300, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t250, BB folds.

Flop: (t700) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, JACKI bets t600, SB raises to t1200, JACKI raises to t2760, SB calls t1560.

Results and comments in white below: <font color="white">
About the preflop play: I had stolen my share of blinds, but I hadn't been overly ridiculous. SB was a bit loose, but not when it was raised preflop.
I thought I could take the blinds here, or get away easily if the flop didn't hit me.
After the flop: Any way you don't get all of your chips in if possible?

SB shows 2s Js (flush, ace high).
JACKI shows Ts 8s (flush, ace high).
Outcome: SB wins t6220. </font>
Old 06-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Stealing the blinds with a mediocre hand

I think the first half of your play was great, and of course, it had an unfortuante outcome. SB as I'm sure you know, is one of the best places to bluff, **but how do you buff when it's just a call?!** Anyhow, the bottom line really is that you got lucky, and SB got really lucky.

You played it out poorly because you didn't read right away with the re-raises that he had at least one very high spade. I would have dumped and tried to at least sail into 4th where you win at least your entry fee back... What was the buy-in again?
Old 06-11-2004, 03:20 PM

Someday I hope I could have the dicipline to fold to the re-raise from the SB, but I'm sure not there yet - particularly at less than a full table.

Even if he had only 1 bigger spade, I would have reasoned with 2 of the spades in my hand, it was still worth going for imho - you had to win a hand to get into the top 4 at some point (you were only 1 seat off the bubble anyway)and you flopped what you were hoping to flop.

Just because you walked out the door and had an anvil fall on your head dosen't mean you should have stayed home...

With that said, you've hit on one of the biggest leaks in my own game, which is to either a) attempt a steal and get smooth called with a sub-standard hand as you did or b) see the flop for free in the big blind and catch enough of the flop to get me in trouble and not be able to let it go. Usually I bleed with less of hand than you flopped though...
Old 06-11-2004, 03:28 PM

I don't think there's any way for you to get away from this hand postflop. The SB could be check-raising with any number of hands, trying to steal the pot. It's just bad luck that you happened to hit what you thought was a perfect flop, only to find out it was more perfect for your opponent.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:29 PM

I'm not an expert, but I did sleep in a holiday inn last night. But, I don't see that you made any mistake in this hand at all. I like the 300 raise preflop. I don't like the call with J2s by your opponent, but that is a different matter.

You both got what you wanted. After the check/raise by the SB, I would have called, and then pushed after a non spade on the turn. If a spade on the turn, I would have thought about it, and probably pushed anyway. Either way, I'm all in eventually, and on the rail just like you.

Sometimes, you just have 2nd best great hand.

gc
Old 06-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Discipline is not the word you are looking for. Folding a flopped flush to a single raise is inconceivable. This was just a tough break.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:46 PM

Thinking more about this, I do agree for the most part with the other replies. You probably saw how the SB was playing, and also saw that he was loose. I often run into those at the $5+.50 tourneys, but end up kicking myself for playing since I almost always lose to chasers in those. It's ok, I still play the same level in all games I play, with some adjustment of course. I just steal less in the loose games.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that you lost to a poor player. Poor because he called your raise. Some might not think so, but J2(That is what SB had if I remember) suited or not, shouldn't this late in the game be calling 3x the BB... I'm sorry, but that is a desperation move. If it were to be raised, that's a different story because of course it would be calling the bluff and forcing the fold. Just unlucky against an unfortunate hand...
Old 06-11-2004, 05:03 PM

i saw the exact same situation happen last nite at a final table of a MTT. However it was heads up. initial raiser with 23 or 34 suited flopped the flush only to be beat by the j9 suited. simply unlucky.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the buy-in again?

[/ QUOTE ]
$10+1
Old 06-11-2004, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someday I hope I could have the dicipline to fold to the re-raise from the SB,

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever fold a flopped flush to a check-min-raise, call the guys in the white coats to come get me.