Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Default AA straight forward play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($104)
SB ($244.70)
BB ($74.50)
UTG ($125.40)
MP ($129.20)
CO ($99.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, MP raises to $5, CO calls $5, Hero raises to $20, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $18, MP folds, CO calls $15.

<font color="blue"> My thought to get as much in pre flop as possible, yet still have action. So far, so good.</font>

Flop: ($68) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO bets $79.25 (All-In), Hero calls $79.25, UTG raises to $105.4 (All-In), Hero calls $4.75 (All-In).

<font color="blue"> When the CO moves in on me, I figure he probably has an over pair like 99 or TT and wants to protect it. So, I decide to flat call. I only have $4.75 left anyways, so I see my call as showing weakness to UTG so maybe he will also come in. Who then comes over the top, so I auto call.</font>

Turn: ($336.65) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: ($336.65) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $336.65

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 9d 9c (two pair, nines and fives). OH! UTG had the over pair.
CO shows 6h 7s (two pair, sevens and fives). AH.. he needed the next 2 cards for his draw.
Hero shows Ah As (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins $315.25. UTG wins $21.40. </font>

The reason I am even posting this is I just got back from playing in Vegas with MANY good players. And while playing there the stacks were bigger in relation to the blinds (we would have $200 - $300 with $1/$2 blinds) and I would have dumped my Aces on the flop for a shove of that size. However, I just would like some confirmation that this play was correct for party poker so I don't start folding winners. Should I have played this in any other way? Your comments are appreciated!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: AA straight forward play?

I think on Party it really depends on who you're playing against. There are a lot of people that don't really bet until they get the nuts, although those same people generally wouldn't have come in with 46 or 69, but it's possible. If you were in that situation though, he probably would have tried to checkraise you, or bet a small amount to trap you in. I could also see someone doing that with top pair and a draw, maybe 6-8 or something like that.

If, however, you're against one of those typical PP fish that come in with anything and then don't bother trapping, they just bet out, you could be facing a completed straight with someone betting all-in just because he knows it makes him look like he doesn't actually have it.

I dunno. I really can't say what I'd have done...I'm interested to see what everyone else says.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: AA straight forward play?

Anybody else?