Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 07:52 PM

Default QUESTION ON REBUY-IN TOURNAMENT SETUP

I'm sorta new to the NL tournament side of texas hold'em but I really love it.

I have played in a few single buy-in tournaments but never a rebuy.

I have decided to host a 50-100 person tourney with between a $50 and $150 buy-in's. I was thinking of having rebuy's to help with the pot, but I have no clue on the details.

How long to allow a rebuy, how much, and how many chips, ect...

If someone could help me out that would be great.

Also...Tell me if this sounds reasonable.

Start with $1000 worth of chips with the blinds:

10/15
10/20 - after 30 min
15/30 - 30 min
25/50 - 30 min
50/100 - 30 min
75/150 - 30 min
100/200 - 30 min
150/300 - 30 min
200/400 - after 1 hour
300/600 - 1 hour
ect....

Should I incorporate ante's at some point and is 1000 enough for this tournament.

My biggest concern is not to rush this tournament but to have it finish in a reasable amount of time. I feel that so many tournament rush their blind times and raise them to much which gives "Lucky" players the edge. Just my opinion.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: QUESTION ON REBUY-IN TOURNAMENT SETUP

Typically rebuys work like this:
If your stack falls under some amount, you can take a rebuy. Often the "some amount" is your starting stack, but it could be more or less. You can have rebuys of any chip/dollar amounts, but generally you want to have the rebuy be equal to or greater chips/dollar than the original buy in. Most typically, the rebuy is for the same amount/cost as the original buy-in. After some amount of time (usually an hour, but could be two), no more rebuys are allowed. Often, when the point at which rebuys are cut off is reached, players are offered an opportunity to add on. An add on is a rebuy that can be taken reguardless of the number of chips a player has. Often add-ons offer more chips/dollar than the rebuy (for example, in Pokerstars rebuy tournaments, initial stacks are T1500, rebuys are T1500, and the add-on is T2000, the rebuy and add-on costing the amount of the initial buy-in).

Bear in mind that rebuy tournaments can very easily cost players many times the buy in. You should expect that at least some players will end up taking 3 or 4 rebuys or more.

You can also offer a limited number of rebuys. If you do this, usually you let people take them at any time, but once they run out of chips and rebuys, they are done.

Your blind structure sounds pretty slow. This tournament will take a while to play. That may be OK, but be aware of it. Antes tend to speed things up a bit in terms of the number of hands, but they can slow things down substantially while people make sure everyone has paid the ante (especially if you do not have dedicated dealers to do this).

Hope that helps.

Chris