Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Banging my Head against the wall

Stars $1/$2 NL full table.

I am in SB with AsKs, folded to CO who calls, Button raises to $8, I re-raise to $16, CO goes all-in with $24, Button calls, I call. ($72 pot)

Flop is 9sAcKc. I bet $10, Button instantly goes all-in (he has me covered, I have $104 left). I call, then I start banging my head against the wall knowing I am most likely way behind. Non spade rag on the turn, 8s on the river and Button shows his pocket Aces.

Probibly the dumbest move I have made in the 8 months I have been playing online.

Is there anyone else who would have made this call?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Banging my Head against the wall

Hmmmm.....I'm not sure that I could have gotten away from this one either.

It all depends on your read of the button. Is he the type that will try to pick up the pot with a raise after 1 limper? If so, there's a wide range of hands he could have.

Now he's faced with a raise from you (the SB), which typically signifies a pretty good hand. I don't give much weight to the cutoff limp-reraise since it's either call or fold for him, and typically people that get shortstacked like to toss their money in and hope for the best. But the button just calls the raise, and this is where I really don't think you can put him on AA or KK. I would expect AA or KK or re-raise again at this point.

On the flop, you bet out $10 into a $72 pot. If I'm the button, I think you're either trying to milk some $$ out of me, or the flop missed you and you're trying to steal it after re-raising preflop. With one player all-in, it's less likely that you're trying to steal the pot, so I have to give you credit for a hand.

The button could push here with a wide range of hands, like AQ, A9 or even something like QJs. Like I said earlier, I think it depends on what you think he'll raise with from the button after just a single limper. Because he only called the re-raise preflop, I don't see how you can put him on AA.