Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Folded KK once.....but not twice

I can say this with absolute certainty... your opponent was not a very good player. It seems like his only play was to go all-in. You should have taken this arse out when you had the chance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Here's the bottom line. Are there going to be times when you have KK and the other player has AA and busts you out? Yes, it sucks when it happens but it's an unavoidable part of the game. While it's true that you could avoid getting nailed by AA by folding KK when there is a single huge raise, I guarantee you that is not, in the long run, a profitable stragety.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First level, 10-20 blinds, UTG+1 raises to 40, I look down at KK and make it 150 to go. I have about 1500 after the raise. BB pushes in for 1300+. UTG+1 folds, I figure this is an easy fold so I muck the cowboys. To this point, BB hadn't played a lot of hands and didn't appear to be a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this an easy fold? Just because he's not a maniac doesn't mean he only pushes with AA. There's no way i lay this one down.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's turn the situation on its head. You have AA in the big blind, stacks are 1500. EP miniraises to 40, MP reraises to 150. You have no read on either player, although rumor has it that MP posts at 2+2.

How many of the people reading this post are pushing all-in in this situation? My money says that most of you raise to 400-500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, Fnurt. If I have the aces here, I'm not pushing all-in. On Party I see this raise to 150 made with as little as 88. If I've got someone who looks like he really wants to play his hand, and I've got aces, I don't want to give him any reason to lay this down. Besides, on a ragged flop, if he calls that 500 bet, I have a good chance of being called when I push because he may put me on AK and trying to buy the pot. That early, especially in a minor MTT, I'm taking any chance I can get to grab a bunch of chips. If I get sucked out on, I figure it just wasn't meant to be and go on to the next one.

Now, on the converse, I've seen all-in pushes there from QQ, JJ, TT, and many hands that you are well ahead on. Get your money in and make the tournament a little easier on yourself.

Gandor
Old 06-09-2004, 01:47 PM

I would have called both these all-ins from this unknown player. The only time that I would have folded the cowboys was if there was more action after me that resulted in several players going all-in as well as the BB. In that senario, with still a good stack to work with ... I would lay the boys down b/c I would either give credit to one of the players for AA, or I would not want to risk my whole stack and get drawn out on by one of the several players.
I think generally, against one opponent it is more profitable to throw caution to the wind and treat the cowboys as if they were rockets.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:49 PM

I definitely wouldn't push. Raising 400-500 keeps him in the pot most of the time which is exactly where you want him. Pushing makes him rethink his situation and consider the fact he could be out of the tournament. Just my opinion.