Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Fateful hand in last nights $10 rebuy... too agressive...

OK. I had been in desperate mode, and have gone from 22k to 92k in just a few hands, doubling up with KJ and 88.

Was my push correct in this setting. This is the best hand I've had in over 70 hands. While I'm at 92k, I'm still around 20th of 28 at this point, and I'm wanting the final table, not limping to 12th.

Those of you sweating me, I appreciate it greatly. Kind of inspires you a little more when you got fans!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t12000 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">gcDanno (t91940)</font>
CO (t168068)
Button (t314335)
<font color="C00000">SB <font color="purple">(Lucky One)</font> (t133376)</font>
BB (t98355)
UTG <font color="purple">(phil hellmuth)</font> (t165814)
UTG+1 (t145554)
MP1 (t107086)
MP2 (t37972)

Preflop: gcDanno is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG <font color="purple">(phil hellmuth)</font> raises to t36000</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">gcDanno raises to t91340</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB <font color="purple">(Lucky One)</font> raises to t132776</font>, BB folds, UTG <font color="purple">(phil hellmuth)</font> folds.

Flop: (t263716) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t263716) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t263716) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t263716
<font color="green">Main Pot: t222280 (t222280), between gcDanno and Lucky One.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Lucky One (t222280).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t41436 (t41436), between gcDanno and Lucky One.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Lucky One (t41436).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Lucky One shows Ks Ac (one pair, aces).
gcDanno shows Th Tc (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Lucky One wins t263716. </font>

Why can't Stars just offer the Ace on the flop. Had my hopes up all the way to the river. If I win this hand, I'm in 8th, and not far from the top 3.

I renamed southern_24 to Phil because he stated after the hand that he layed down QQ. Would you?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Fateful hand in last nights $10 rebuy... too agressive...

Great job on the solid finish.

I have a problem with this line of thinking:
[ QUOTE ]
This is the best hand I've had in over 70 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that is part of your justification for making this play. This is a raise all in or fold situation, so I compliment you for not making the worst of the three plays and calling. However, you just made a great chip run, I would not play TT this strong against an UTG raise. Its going to be a coinflip/big dog situation most of the time.

Chips = time. You have chips, you have time. I pick a better spot than this. As it went, you nearly doubled up, which would've put you in a commanding spot to coast to the final table. However, I think in the long run this is a play I would not make.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:23 AM

I don't see the need to get all your money in preflop here.

You can still survive a bit if you flat call and then get it in on the flop if it is favorable.

Coming over the top-full is likely to get a call from AK. I posted a hand in here month ago about TT in the same status and chip position. The consesus was to call and get it in on a favorable flop.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-09-2004, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I renamed southern_24 to Phil because he stated after the hand that he layed down QQ. Would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Others may disagree but I could lay that down. Especially if he's been at the table for a while with you, and noticed that you haven't been playing many hands. From his perspective, he's just seen one player unafraid of his UTG raise and went all-in, followed by a second player re-raising and going all-in on top of that. If you're playing with solid players, it's hard to imagine from his perspective I think that QQ is going to be good in a 3-way pot without flopping a set. Of course he was probably pretty pissed when you turned over TT and the other guy had AK.

Congrats on the nice finish. I agree with Jason that when faced with an UTG raise like that, unless you read the guy as a total maniac, you are going to be a slight favorite at best, and a big dog at worst with TT.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:32 AM

I agree with the QQ laydown. I'm getting killed on another post for laying down KK preflop, but I think this one is pretty easy to let go.

'Phil' has a good stack of chips and has seen his UTG raise get re-raised twice, and not by short stacks trying to double up. At best he's facing AK in two places, and likely he's in worse shape than that. There's simply no reason to risk all those chips in a 3-way pot.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 PM

You are correct. This is probably a huge leak in my game. I have a tendancy to want to shake it up with hands like this when I've been card dead for soooo long.

The reason for posting this is obvious. I just didn't feel satisfied that I made the right play, and so far the comments appear to back that up. So does the World Champion of Poker agree as well?

The one thing I would not do in this situation is to just call, unless I was in the blinds, and had the chance to close it out, and then run a stop and go. If I call, the bad go goes over the top all in, then what do I do? Fold?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:43 PM

I dont completely understand:

[ QUOTE ]
If I call, the bad go goes over the top all in, then what do I do? Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm on only a few hours of sleep...

This is also not a situation where you can stop and go. You have way too many chips to do that. If you think you are stronger, you can raise the UTG's bet by 3x, which is generally enough for him to fold a hand that is worse. For you to do a stop and go, (to borrow from fossilman):

1) be certain he'll call your all in PF
2) be fairly sure you have the best hand

Neither of these are true, so I do not stop and go here at all. In the blinds, MAYBE you can consider calling and playing the flop, but it sounds like -EV to me.