Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 02:34 PM

Default K J (s)

5-10 at Niagara Falls. I'm in the 9/10 seat. Two limpers to me, I call. Button and blinds come along for the ride.

FLOP:
T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checked to me I bet. All call.

TURN:

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to me, I bet. Button raises, folded back to me.

Whats my play?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: K J (s)

You really should have raised this preflop. Now it's hard to tell if he's holding Q9 or not, although more often than not I think you'll be shown KT here. I say call down.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Re-raise. I'm not putting him on a set or straight just yet.

If he caps, I check-call the river unless I catch another jack or king. If he just calls, I bet and call a raise (unless of course I catch my boat, then I reach for my shovel).
Old 06-08-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really should have raised this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention that. Agreed with the PFR.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:44 PM

This is a raise preflop and a probable re-raise when you get popped on the turn mainly dependent on your read of that player. I'd worry more about the trips as opposed to the straight, but otherwise he may be holding a K-J as well if not a J-10 or K-10 (which would be ideal for you.)
Old 06-08-2004, 03:02 PM

I have found over the years that KJ(s) plays much better against one or four opponents. If I rasie I may wind up with two or three, which I have found to be not as good. Maybe I should rethink this!?!
Old 06-08-2004, 04:29 PM

My thinking may be a bit wrong on this, but I want to take any opportunity to get all those weak Ax out, not to mention you have a lot of possibilities to win this hand before you see the flop.

So you raise and only one person calls. You hit a Jack on the flop, bet it and then take the pot right there. Is that such a bad thing? I don't think we can expect to take a big pot every time and more often then not, it's the multiple small/medium pots that you take that give you a nice winning session IMO.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:58 PM

When you don't raise preflop, you're laying pot odds to the button and SB that beg them to come along, and letting the BB see a free flop with his T3 to out-flop you. So raise preflop to thin the field- it's unlikely that you'll buy the pot, but then you don't have to worry about the button limping along with Q9s or 33.
In any case, back to your situation: at this point, very few hands beat you. You can pretty much rule out a medium or big pocket pair, or AQ, since they would have raised preflop. So unless the button has Q9 or 33, you're made. He quite possibly caught a worse 2 pair like JT or KT, or he had KQ and likes his top pair with the draw. I 3-bet here, and if he caps, call him down. If he calls, bet into him again and just call a raise. If he busts you with Q9 forget about it: it was a bad call. Just knock that out next time.