Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 04:20 PM

Default did I overplay this hand?

Long time lurker, don't post very often. Does anyone think I overplayed this hand? Afterwords, the player I made fold on the flop (with my raise) told me he threw away a set of kings. Comments appreciated.

Party Poker $200 Pot Limit
Hero posts small blind (2)
BB posts big blind (4)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 7c, 7h ]
UTG folds.
UTG +1 raises (8) to 8
UTG +2 folds.
MP1 folds.
MP2 folds.
MP3 folds.
LP1 raises (12) to 12
LP2 folds.
Hero calls (10)
BB folds.
UTG calls (4)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ts, 7s, Ks ]
Hero checks.
UTG bets (38)
LP1 calls (38)
Hero raises (190) to 190
UTG calls (146)
UTG is all-In.
LP1: wow
LP1 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 7d ]
** Dealing River ** : [ Kc ]
Creating Main Pot with $443 with UTG
** Summary **
Main Pot: $443 | Side Pot 1: $6 | Rake: $3
Board: [ Ts 7s Ks 7d Kc ]
UTG balance $0, lost $196 [ As Qh ] [ two pairs, kings and sevens -- As,Ks,Kc,7s,7d ]
LP1 balance $184.50, lost $50 (folded)
Hero balance $514.20, bet $202, collected $449, net +$247 [ 7c 7h ] [ four of a kind, sevens -- Ks,7c,7h,7s,7d ]

I figured I had the best hand here and needed to charge any draws. Also, in the unlikely event someone flopped a flush... the full house redraw was still good. Also, based upon the weak raise preflop, I had a hard time putting anyone of KK here. Any comments appreciated.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: did I overplay this hand?

I don't know that I would have played 77 for two raises from the SB, but that's just me. Not knowing how the table is playing, two raises means my small pair gets tossed in the muck - especially because the 2nd raise is for the minimum. That just seems like a big pair asking for callers.

On the flop, it's a tough hand to play. I would also check to see what happens behind me, although you hate to give a free card and have another spade hit if everyone checks around.

UTG raised pre-flop from an early position, so he probably has a decent starting hand. It's possible he flopped the nut flush with something like AQs or AJs, but I don't think it's likely because of the flop bet. If he flops the nut flush, he probably checks to the pre-flop re-raiser to try to sucker him in. So you figure UTG doesn't have a flush.

The call by LP makes this one harder to play. It's possible he's got AQs or AJs and is smooth calling to pop it again on the turn.

The play is either fold if you think LP will slowplay a flopped flush, or raise if you believe your hand is the best.

I think LP played this one poorly - if he raises a significant amount on the flop, he might be able to push you off your hand.

All in all, it's an aggressive way to play the hand, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:48 PM

Folding 7-7 preflop to an early postition raiser (surely UTG) will save you money/chips in the long run. Just as you should not play garbage in EP means everyone else shoud not as well. You can count on it being a nice hand nearly everytime if the player is not loose. You can also figure if it's not a larger pocket pair it's at least two over cards. So, you a slight favorite with, quite possibly, 5 cards to come. If you don't hit your 7 (7.5 to 1 to flop a set) you may very well end up folding after the flop. 7-7 is, at least to me, a very marginal hand to call an early position preflop raiser with players left to act behind you.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:02 PM

two raises pre-flop? there is no way I am in that hand... unless you hit your set it's trash, you lucked out, congrats
Old 06-08-2004, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two raises pre-flop? there is no way I am in that hand... unless you hit your set it's trash, you lucked out, congrats

[/ QUOTE ]

hes only playing it for a set, and he has set odds here..

why all 3 replies saying to muck this hand? 10 dollars is only 5 percent of his stack. to the first replier: you want to be against big pairs here, so your read that he has a big pair is even more reason to call.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:20 PM

seems fine, clearly only other option is to raise less on the flop, but i think thats bad for 2 reasons.
1. an all in looks weaker to come players than some sort of smaller raise (that equally pot commits you)
2. you have 2 players still left, decreasing the chances both will fold and increasing their pot odds for any potential call, making necessary a larger raise.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:46 PM

Let me add another voice to the call camp. This is $200 buy-in PLHE. You should ALWAYS be calling a $10 bet to see the flop, if you believe it will close the action, with a small-medium pair.

Here it is close, given UTG raised and was re-raised in LP. You may have to throw away your bet if UTG re-reraises, but its a gamble worth taking given the depth of the stacks.

This pot will be $40 and one of the 2 preflop raises is going to bet the pot on the flop, if not get into a raising war and if you flop a set you look to get a $600 return on your $10 investment.

Also, if your in LP place, and you are faces with 2 all ins ahead of you with topset. Do NOT FOLD. You have 7 outs to the full house on the flop and 10 on the turn and you are drawing to the nuts and you are getting the right odds. In this case you would have been behind due to 3 of your outs being dead, but this isnt the normal case.

I can't think of a time where you would fold topset to 2 all ins ahead of you with the stack size ratio to the blinds.

His min raise could very well be KK. I don't see how he can get away from topset, even on a scary flop like this with 2 all-ins ahead of him.

Oh, yeah. I'd get all my chips in here too, you can't be afraid of set over set. My read would be 1 of them has the A of spades the other the Q of spades.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:02 PM

I really appreciated the feedback. Let me also add this to the conversation.

1) IMO, LP played this weakly before the flop and after. If he had raised more before the flop, I would not have called to see the flop. His $4 raise accomplishes absolutely nothing IMO. Either raise big (to make people fold) or limp to put everyone on a bad read (I don't recomment option#2, but at least I could understand the point).

2) This hand is a very interesting example of why it is beneficial to play aggressively. Weak players will sometimes throw away better hands when you bet big. Also, if the player wasn't weak, I would have never seen the flop to begin with. He could have easily raised big preflop and isolated the UTG (I would have folded preflop to say a $40 raise).