Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 09:03 PM

Default No limit tournament - Coin flip situation - 2 scenarios

Scenario 1:

50 online players left, blinds 200-400, top 20 get paid.
Me (T10000)
The Antihero with T5000 just pushed allin in middle position with AJo, got called and won. The next hand he moves in again, T10000 chips, I have JJ put him on AK at best and call. What do u think, should I have risked my chips on a very possible coin flip to double up at this point or just wait for a better spot?

Result: he had AKo, my opponent behind me with a very short stack (T3000) had AQs and also called. The Antihero hits a King and I am out.

Scenario 2:
Same online tournament type as scenario 1 but this is near the beginning-middle stage of the tournament. I have accumulated pretty quickly T8000 chips. blind are 100-200. About 80 players left. Top 20 pays.

I have TT utg, and I have a loose crazy image. I raise to T800. All fold to the button who pushes in T12000. I think for sometime and call. (I dont know where I am but it doesn't feel like he has AA or KK)

Result he has AK and doubles up when he hits. I felt like this was a bad gamble in the middle of the tournament but what if I knew it was a coin flip, is it still a bad gamble?

FLOPDANUTZ
Old 06-08-2004, 03:11 PM

Default eh?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: No limit tournament - Coin flip situation - 2 scenarios

It depends on the stack you are up against. Against any stack that can bust you, coin flips are no good. If you are a good enough player, you can find better spots to hit a big pot. Patience is necessary to achieve results...so be patient and fold these.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:07 PM

I agree with Zoot, with one exception. If you are early in a tournament, and you know another game is starting up soon that is similiar, then you might decide, hey if I don't double up, I will play this other MTT. In that case, push, and if you double up, you are in much better shape to make the long ride to the final table. If you lose, then you haven't invested a lot of time here, so no biggie.

gc
Old 06-08-2004, 05:18 PM

I don't think either play is bad per se, but it's better to be the pusher than the caller.When you call you have to be prepared to lose half the time.

Your stack is pretty deep opn the JJ hand and would cost you nothing to fold, you have no equity in that pot. Pretty easy fold since he has you covered.

On the TT hand again, I don't like it because you can fold and still have 72 BB's. AK is the best you can hope for. Unless you feel like everyone else plays better than you, then you accept the coin flips.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Both are easy folds unless you consider the shovers to be awful.

Do you think antihero1 is making that play with small pocket pairs? If he is, then calling is fine. Otherwise, you are hoping for a coinflip. You never want to be hoping for one.

In situation 2, your opponent is calling with any hand that you have beat, not reraising. Again, you are hoping for a coinflip.

I do agree with what David said, in coinflip scenarios, it's FAR better to be the aggressor.

Edit: Oh yeah, with a big stack, you shouldn't be flipping many coins. Being in a situation where you can bully people around is +ev. Even if you are weaktight, there is added equity in being able to outfold people into the money.