Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Help Plz, Final Table Hand, Anyone folding this??

So last night I made it to the final table of the paradise pearl tourney. Buy in was 150 and with 108 entries first place was around 4K with aver 1K being paid to 5th place on up. After being at or below average most of the tourney I had made a comeback at two table left and entered the final table as chip leader with around 28K. Average stack was around 15K. One guy hanging around with around 4K.

First hand I am big blind and get dealt AKo
-blinds are 400/800 if I remember correctly

Folded to short stack, who is UTG-2 and goes all in for his ~4K

MP player goes all in over the top for ~15K
-this player was with me at the last table and praticaly the only bet I ever saw made was an all in. Weak player but has gotten a few high pocket pairs that I saw to still be here.

I call

short stack turns over AQo and weak player turns over KTs

Ten hits the board with no help for me and I am crippled and eventually bust in 8th.

My question is this, is anyone folding this here? I think I could have easily made at least 5th place with my stack prior to this hand.

Any and all comments welcome

Thanks a bunch,
Evan Decker-Spence
Old 06-07-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: anyone?? come on guys need help here. n/m

n/m
Old 06-07-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Help Plz, Final Table Hand, Anyone folding this??

Well I would have folded because of the seemingly high chance I am in a coinflip situation but after you called you cannot hope for a better situation. Can you really complain when you call and see that ?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:40 PM

I'll bite.

Most people on this board would say its a good call. I think you fold it. You are already chip leader. Why take a coinflip, which is likely here as you are usually going to be up against atleast one pocket pair? You dont need to risk something like that, especially with how dramatically the $$ increases at the final table. Let one of them go down, and wait for another chance.

But that's just me, and I hate AKo vs. allins.

Nick
Old 06-08-2004, 12:00 AM

I have to agree. You got the best-case scenario, which was 2 dominated hands, and it's unfortunate that you lost. Replace one of those hands with a pocket pair, however, and the dead money from the dominated hand mostly benefits the pair (because a dominated hand also takes away one of your outs).

The key for me though, is not your read on the opponents, or the odds of AK against two all-ins. The most important fact in your whole story is that it is the first hand at the final table. To me, rather than gamble it up on the first hand (even if you might have the best of it), it's important to sit back in an unclear situation and let the dust clear a bit.

Sometimes a final table will be very tight and you can exploit this with steals. Sometimes there will be lots of wild all-ins and you will keep climbing the money ladder as players bust themselves out. But you won't know any of this if you get involved in a big gamble as soon as you get there.

Calculate the odds all you want, but these factors are worth thinking about too.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:07 AM

Well given what they were holding you had two dominated hands and can't really complain.. but this early at the final table there's a solid case for folding just because you don't want to risk that many chips on a drawing offsuit hand which is really what AKo is. If one of them has a pair you are behind and you are the chip leader why risk it this quickly with little or no read and you gain if the smaller player busts.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:08 AM

sigh, kinda what i was thinking afterward. Thanks guys.