Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: An Almost Perfect Flop...How do you play this KQs?

I'm torn between 3-betting the flop and calling. Don't we want customers for when we hit our nut flush (or trips)? I don't want to lose players that might call 2 (but not 3 or 4).
Old 06-07-2004, 08:52 PM

I agree with you on the flop, but does anybody really want a free card on the turn? If I 3-bet the flop and it was checked to me on the turn I'd bet every time. You may have the best hand, you have the best draw, and you might get a better hand to fold.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You're only likely to lose 1 guy with the others calling multiple bets or raising. The guy you'd likely lose will give you the button. btw, you're 3 betting, not 2 betting here. The possible bets you collect from the other guys will more than make up for that 1 guy you lose here.

You have a nut flush, any Q, b-door str8 draw. That's alot of possible outs. You may even get someone out that makes hitting a K a more viable out, adding 3 more. With 2 opponents, you're making money jamming this flop. Even if someone has an A.

Then, if checked to on the turn, you have the option of a possible free card.

Note, if you coldcall, they will put you on a draw most likely. 3 betting here, along with value, disguises your hand a bit. If there were more players to act behind you, i might buy in on just calling.

b
Old 06-07-2004, 10:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Depends on how you think your opponets will play the turn. If they're folders, a bet would be nice. If you dont think they'll fold, id opt for checking behind since you dont have the players in for a value raise here. Usually if they see the turn for 3 bets, theyll see the river for 1 more big bet.

b
Old 06-08-2004, 02:37 AM

But you have a made hand that may be the best hand at this point. I would think you would have to bet in order to give your opponents a chance at making a mistake like laying down a weak ace or something like QJ even if there is only a small chance of any of them folding.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't consider getting a free card to be a good reason to 3-bet the flop, since I would bet if it was checked to me on the turn.
I play .05/.10 so I'm still learning. If my reasoning is wrong here I'd appreciate any criticism.