Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Anyone do .5/1 jump to 2/4? Please give detailed reply

I'm wondering if anyone decided to skip the often tight 1/2 game at empire/party and went from .5/1 to 2/4. Maybe took a small stab at 1/2 but then jumped to 2/4. Or someone who has played all three and can just talk about if it would be a good idea or okay to jump from .5/1 to 2/4.

I have 27k hands at .5/1 at over 4.5 BB/100. I am having problems at 3300 hands at 1/2 and wondering if it's worth just jumping to 2/4 since I hear 1/2 is often a bit tight. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Anyone do .5/1 jump to 2/4? Please give detailed reply

Don't jump. You need to learn how to beat tight-passive games as well as loose passive games.

Besides, 2/4 for all it's richness, isn't a picnic. The tables are tighter than .5/1 and 1/2, the players are more aggressive, you see more good players more often, the rake is relatively higher, and and and.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:42 PM

I graduated from 0.5/1 about 3 months ago, and I moved to the 1/2 shorthanded games. Its quite possible that more people see the flop in the typical 1/2 6max game than in the 1/2 full game. In fact, with the proper adjustments, I'd say you could make more playing 1/2 6max than 2/4 full, since the 1/2 6max game is so loose.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:51 PM

Played a few thousand hands at 5./1 and had no problem - played about 1K hands at 1/2 and was losing but only because of the card - same game basically.

Took a stab at 2/4 and found basically the same game as 1/2 and have never looked back.

3/6 is a fidderent dog though. .5/1 is not that much different then .5/1. If you are winning at .5/1 you will undoubtably win at 1/2.

your here to make money and gamble. Take a few swipes at 2/4 to see how it plays. IF - your bank can't handle it.

The ONLY big difference you will find moving up is how you feel when you put the big bucks out.

This summer I'm seeing loser play in 2/4 then 1/2. NOT much but a percent. Play tight and don't go for drawing hands untill you get used to the feel of a higher level table.

Convert everything back to Big Bets not dollars. It's easier that way.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the rake is relatively higher

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am having problems at 3300 hands at 1/2 and wondering if it's worth just jumping to 2/4 since I hear 1/2 is often a bit tight. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common sentiment I always hear, which I don't agree with. If you can't beat 1/2 consisently, there's simply no reason to believe you can beat 2/4. Might 2/4 be "easier" than 1/2? Perhaps, but if you don't have the BR for it I don't suggest it, because the higher stakes can be variance hell.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:12 AM

I'm jumping to 2/4. I typically play one 2/4 table and one .5/1 table. Bad run of cards to start out, but I'm up a slight bit after it. They don't seem to be biting on my attempted checkraises as much. Just make sure there are a couple of terrible "any two" types. Make table selection your top priority.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:59 AM

If you have a decent bankroll, go ahead and give 2/4 a shot once in a while.

I played .5/1 and still do, but when I tried moving up to 1/2 I hated it. I'm sure I can beat 1/2 but there are just much less tables to choose frome because of the 6 max (I like full ring). So now I play about the same amount of 2/4 and .5/1. Sometimes I'll play two tables of 2/4 and other times I'll stick with three tables of .5/1.

Just because you want to play at 2/4 doesn't mean you're stuck there. Give it a shot once in a while and continue to play some .5/1. The biggest thing to get over at first will be the money. At first it was intimidating to see your river bet get raised, and you know you should reraise but $8 is a lot compared to what you're used to. But if you think in terms of small bets/big bets you'll be fine.

Just be sure to enjoy yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2004, 11:41 AM

It depends what you want. If you want to keep moving up, you will probably get in trouble at some point if you cant beat 1/2.

If you just want to make some money in your spare time and dont mind giving up what you could have learned at 1/2, then take a shot if you have the roll and are willing to move down again.

I´m sure you can find good games at 1/2 if you seach.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:11 PM

Since Pokerstars have their bonus right now, perhaps you could jump on that offer...

Play some 1/2 there (which should be a lot tighter from what I hear), but do it while clearing the bonus. After 4-5k hands you have cleared it, and even if your BB/100 is lower the bonus will still make it more than worth your time.

After that, you could go to Party 2/4 and play there. I imagine (though I have no experience to back this up) that Pokerstars 1/2 plays a lot like Party 2/4 as far as difficulty go. So you have gotten a smoother transition at least than you would have gotten jumping directly from 0.5/1 to 2/4 on Party

Anyways, something to consider at least. Got to hurry though, the PS offer ends today!