Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Default How do you build your stack?

How do you build up your stack early in a tournament so as not to find yourself short-stacked when close to the money? I often survive until fairly late...I sometimes even JUST squeak into the money, but I only rarely find myself in good chip position when getting close to the money.

So, I am looking for strategies to build my stack during the early to mid stages of a tournament. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: How do you build your stack?

Get good cards, play good poker? I can't think of an easier way to build a stack. Pick up some blinds if your on a tight table.

[ QUOTE ]
So, I am looking for strategies to build my stack during the early to mid stages of a tournament. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think every tournament player tries to do this lol it's not just you.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:39 PM

Dont get to pre occupied with getting there with a big stack,learn to play your way out of trouble,I do this by playing sngs very aggressivly and if it goes wrong and Im short stacked I *really* try to play my way out of trouble,You then get used to hands and position where you can go all in and get out of jail.I recommend trying this because when you do come back and win its an even better feeling.

When I say "really" what I mean is that you re double your effort to get back in the game.I actually quite enjoy getting into trouble in low buy in sngs as practice.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:47 PM

The best note I've seen on early/mid tourney, was (I think from TPFAP) go after the small pots, and be quick to get away from a hand when someone shows aggression.

Nick