Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 05:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Starting the \"suited connectors suck\" campaign........

suited connectors are not profitable unless you play them in the right conditions. these are some of the important factors when considering playing a suited connector:

- you will have the button on all 3 streets
- the game isn't too aggressive
- it's not likely to get raised after you limp
- you are guaranteed a 5-6 way pot
- your opponents play poorly post-flop

if you don't full all 5 requirements, you should seriously consider mucking.

do any of you really play 98s-65s regularly and turn a profit?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Starting the \"suited connectors suck\" campaign........

I couldn't disagree more. 97s is one of my favorite hands. I've also found that varying your play by raising preflop with no-gap suited connectors from MP or even 1-2 gappers like T7s on the button helps take down a lot of pots when the table is moderate to tight. Limp expecting to call a raise at a loose-aggressive table. Muck them only if there's 2 raises in front of you, and even then not necessarily, especially if you have several callers.

In fact just the other night I preflop raised from MP with 65s, nobody called by the SB..flop came AKK, checked to me, I bet, he folded. Not a big pot but it worked out.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:24 PM

One time at poker camp.......

I saw Bunky 3 bet with 98s from the button and spank some fish ass......
Old 06-05-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp expecting to call a raise at a loose-aggressive table.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to play a drawing hand, out of position, against an aggressive opponent, for 2 bets preflop?

That sounds like an awful situation.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:32 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

if you keep raising 97s in MP, you're going to lose all your money

the hand where you raised T7s after a tight limper with presumably loose blinds was terrible. you're remembering the times you win, but you forget that a lot of the time you're raising a limper that dominates your hand. why the hell would anyone want that?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:37 PM

I couldn't disagree more. 97s is one of my favorite hands. I've also found that varying your play by raising preflop with no-gap suited connectors from MP or even 1-2 gappers like T7s on the button helps take down a lot of pots when the table is moderate to tight. Limp expecting to call a raise at a loose-aggressive table. Muck them only if there's 2 raises in front of you, and even then not necessarily, especially if you have several callers.

I hope you are not waiting for me to defend this type of play [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2004, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you keep raising 97s in MP, you're going to lose all your money

the hand where you raised T7s after a tight limper with presumably loose blinds was terrible. you're remembering the times you win, but you forget that a lot of the time you're raising a limper that dominates your hand. why the hell would anyone want that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do it ALL the time. Just if the situation seems right. Often I will go ahead and muck T7s and even 97s. I'm sure you realize it's all situational, and in HE it's post-flop play that really matters. (besides, T7s might be a 55-45 dog against 55, and a significant dog against QQ, and even money against Kxs or Q9, so getting 4-way action on that hand isn't necessarily a losing proposition)
Old 06-05-2004, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limp expecting to call a raise at a loose-aggressive table.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to play a drawing hand, out of position, against an aggressive opponent, for 2 bets preflop?

That sounds like an awful situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not heads up. But in a mutli-way pot, yes. Especially if medium cards come on the flop and my opponents have me on big cards. Or big cards come and they don't have them.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:48 PM

judging from your river check holding 97 on a board of JJ77x after everyone kept checking and calling to you, you don't play well post-flop, so you DEFINITELY shouldn't be making these moves.

-EV is -EV, whether you do it occasionally or all the time. Raising 97s isn't in MP a good move unless you are against the tightest players.

you are overly cocky, you think you know it all, you come here, post a hand you botched terribly, then you start talking about how making these variance moves with medium 1 and 2 gaps is a smart play.

I'm really not trying to be a dick. when I came here I thought I was good. then I realized how crappy I was. hopefully you'll realize this too, because otherwise you're going to lose all your money.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time at poker camp.......

I saw Bunky 3 bet with 98s from the button and spank some fish ass......

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice it was 98s, notice further it was on the button.

Notice thirdly I took control of the hand with position.

Notice fouthly my opponents played HORRIBLY postflop.

Sthief is 100% correct. I am a suited connector fan WITH position. Though i don't always raise )or three bet) in that situation.