Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 01:51 AM

Default set over set

Hey,

I've been reading around here for a while, and this is my first post. I'm trying to improve my game, so I'll be posting some hand histories just to see how I am doing. I started playing the 5.00 buy in tables at stars and eventually built a bankroll (10 buy-ins) for the 25.00 buy in tables, so I am still very new to NLHE. Tonight, I lost a pretty large pot (for me), and I'm wondering if anyone else would have played it differently:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

CO ($$6.80)
Button ($$9.95)
SB ($$16.60)
BB ($$29)
UTG ($$20.15)
UTG+1 ($$10.55)
MP1 ($$11.50)
MP2 ($$31.10)
Hero ($$25.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.90) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $0.5, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $3.5, MP1 raises to $11.25, Hero calls $9.25, UTG+1 calls $6.80 (All-In).

Turn: ($34.70) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($34.70) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $34.70

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows 9c 9h (three of a kind, nines).
MP1 shows Jh Js (one pair, jacks).
Hero shows 4s 4h (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $32.80. Hero wins $1.90. </font>

I did not really have a read on MP1, but UTG+1 had so far been playing pretty solid, although he had only been around for 2 or 3 orbits. Since there was no raise before the flop, and the flop came 9 high, the flop did not really scare me. However, when UTG+1 reraised me, I put him either a set or aces or kings (I thought he might have went for a limp-reraise preflop, but I called hoping he had the pair. The more I think about it, the more I think I should have figured I was beat, considering MP1 reraised all-in. Is this just hindsight talking, or did I really play this hand incorrectly?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: set over set

Surely you aren't going to fold the third nuts here in a $19 pot for $9? You have a monster, and it only has to be good one in three times. You're not behind 2/3 of the time here. People will push with far less on this board. Write off the $9 and move on to the next hand.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:15 AM

I have a friend who claims 44 never loses [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What he means is if you can get in cheaply from Middle to late Position and hit your set chances are you are getting paid. This is a tough beat because set over set is very tough to see and get away from. I would push my set of 4's and take may lumps when he shows 99. This the second best flop you could hope for IMO(save X44 and perhaps bigger cards in an unraised pot like K 4 Q rainbow). But you have to play it and play it strong. If you aren't going to play your set on this board then when will you play it?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:33 AM

If this had been a game with much higher stakes, a good player might be able to make a tough laydown. At low stakes, however, other players are liable to push with anything (as MP1 did with the overpair of jacks; two pair or straight draw are also possible) so you have to call.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If this had been a game with much higher stakes, a good player might be able to make a tough laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace "higher stakes" with "deeper stacks" and I think you may have something.

With stacks this shallow, you are not going to lay this down. Get everybody all-in as soon as possible. Well played.

Guy.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:35 PM

In the words of The Coach...when you have two monster hands, one person is SUPPOSED to lose all their money.

When you have a good hand, you have to play it. That's poker. If you have a read on the opponent or the situation (tourney, stack sizes, etc) then maybe you can walk from it. But in general you play it with gusto.

Mike
Old 06-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Last night, I had a rather odd occurence. I flopped a set of 3s and lost an all-in bet ($25) to someone with a set of queens.

Not FIVE HANDS LATER, I get a pocket pair of aces, and get one caller for $4. This caller was the same guy who had the set of queens. Wouldn't you know it, an ace flops, along with a jack and 5, rainbow. I bet $3 to show weakness, he raises, I raise, he raises again, I go all-in.

He pauses for a second, then says in chat "I have bad news for you."

He then calls.

Two more cards come, blanks, and then he turns over...a set of jacks! I happily collect my $25 back, and inform him "If that's your idea of bad news, I wish I had bad news every hand."