Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 PM

Default aces, detached

Wild Man opens for a raise three from the button. He has ace-little offsuit, a suited jack, or something better. It's folded to me, and I three-bet on the button with red pocket aces. The big blind calls with little enthusiasm, just like the last two dozen times someone raised his big blind. Wild Man calls.

The flop is Js7s4s. BB checks. Wild Man bets. I call. BB check-raises. I put him on a pair, a spade, a pair & a spade, or a flush. Wild Man calls. I call.

There was a time not so long ago when I would have capped that flop. There was a time not so long ago when I would have just folded on that flop. These days I often wait until the turn to decide whether or not I like it.

The turn is the deuce of hearts. BB checks using his "missed my draw" motion. Wild Man bets. I raise, intending to fold if BB check-raises again. BB goes into the tank and eventually calls two turn bets cold. Wild Man calls. I mentally prepare to fold to one bet without a flicker of emotion if a spade comes on the river.

The river is the king if diamonds. BB flashes his cards to the dealer, holds his cards in "gonna muck" position, and checks using his "missed my draw" motion. Wild Man checks. I bet. BB has already folded. Wild Man sighs and folds.

Someone starts asking me something about pocket kings. I return my cards face-down to the dealer along with a chip, quietly respond to the his thanks, and hide my eyes behind the bill of my cap as I gather the chips that are pushed to me.

Wild Man tells me I'm lucky that an ace didn't fall. BB tells Wild Man that he had the ace of spades. I listen quitely to their tales about kickers as big as Paul Bunyon as I stack the chips that were a card's breadth from going somewhere else.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: aces, detached

i wish i had more arms so i could give this thread 4 thumbs down!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:57 PM

Is this thread really happening?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM

i wish i had more arms so i could give this thread 4 thumbs down!

The milk's gone bad!

Edit: Dave, I pray this is a spoof.

You may have noticed a thread recently about how the Mid-stakes forum has degenerated into a content-free story-time for wannabe Tommy Angelos. You might want to read that again.

This is a strategy forum for situations with which an intelligent mid/hi-stakes poster might find interesting. If you've really got a jones to share prose, the zoo might be a better fit.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:58 PM

I'll buck the trend and mention I didn't think your post was all that bad, really.

I think you played the hand well, too.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:28 AM

"I put him on a pair, a spade, a pair & a spade, or a flush."

Genius.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I put him on a pair, a spade, a pair & a spade, or a flush."

Genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, great first post.