Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 05:13 PM

Default A hand I can\'t stop thinking about

Playing live, in a VERY loose 3/6 game. I'm the CO.

I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and I limp in pre flop. A friend is the button, he raises. Everyone calls around to me, so I figured that the 19-1 odds were good enough to call.

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Checked to me, I bet it out. The button raises, and I know he's got an overpair at this point in time. Only one caller to me, and I call.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Checks all around, since I'm worried that the guy in front of me was on a straight draw.

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Check, I bet, call, call. Both opponents had pocket aces.

My comments on it: I think a re-raise preflop would have been the +EV play, right? I'm also under the impression that taking a free card with 3rd pair and a couple decent draws is the right play.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-04-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: A hand I can\'t stop thinking about

I'd jam the flop as you're the favorite to win the hand by the end of it. Not really sure the exact odds, but I think if both players are still in then its +EV to lead the turn with all yours outs, and if one of them folds then check/call or check hoping to get a free card?

Also, I'm really surprised the turn got checked all around, you think at the very least the button would bet.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm entirely sure about the turn.

Ponks
Old 06-04-2004, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing live, in a VERY loose 3/6 game. I'm the CO.

I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and I limp in pre flop. A friend is the button, he raises. Everyone calls around to me, so I figured that the 19-1 odds were good enough to call.

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Checked to me, I bet it out. The button raises, and I know he's got an overpair at this point in time. Only one caller to me, and I call.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Checks all around, since I'm worried that the guy in front of me was on a straight draw.

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Check, I bet, call, call. Both opponents had pocket aces.

My comments on it: I think a re-raise preflop would have been the +EV play, right? I'm also under the impression that taking a free card with 3rd pair and a couple decent draws is the right play.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate your flop bet. Loost like a perfect spot for a check raise. Given that you did bet, 3 bet that! EASY. Even heads up against AA you are going to win this pot more often then not. Get you're money in there!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:26 PM

I'd just like to say that Manimal was one of the best terrible TV shows ever.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:40 PM

With a fabulous draw you want many opponents each putting a lot of money in the pot. By betting the flop into the PFR you deliberately confronted the field with two bets. Very costly mistake.

Let the PFR bet his hand and then checkraise him after everyone is trapped into paying one bet.

Betting the flop is what I would do with A8. Then I'd hope PFR would raise and decimate the field of overcards. Ideally I get heads up and hope to win somehow.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:51 PM

On the flop I agree with the poster that said a check-raise here is a perfect move. You want to build this pot as much as possible with an OE straight flush draw. That also allows you to bet the turn without worrying so much about a raise from the button.

Having played it the way you did, I re-raise the flop with one caller b/c you're way better than 2-1 to make your hand, why not get 2 more small bets in and be aggressive?

On the turn I think you should have bet, having picked up 2 more outs against an overpair. A check-raise here wouldn't be terrible here either b/c it is possible that the button has AK. The way you played it to this point though, it is difficult to tell.

The river was fine.

Overall, I think this hand should have been played more aggressively. A few more bets would have maximized your winnings while also giving you a chance to pick up the pot against overcards.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Thank you to everyone for the reviews. I bet the flop, since I was worried that the button had AK or something similar, which is a situation he would not bet out. In retrospect, though, I should have let him remain the aggressor, to draw some more limpers. Check raising is definitely something I need to work on.