Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 11:14 PM

Default UB multi late pocket Q\'s on the button

Late in a $50 UB multi tonight, 15 left, I'm in 7th chip position with t5695. Antes are 25 each, blinds are 150/300. On the button I get dealt QQ. CO-1 goes all in for t2895. CO goes all in for 4255. I was prepared to call the first all in, but with an all in and a call, I mucked. CO-1 shows TT, CO shows AJh!!!! My Q's would have held up, did i outhink myself here, or did the CO make a CRAZY play?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:02 AM

Default Re: UB multi late pocket Q\'s on the button

this is totally read dependent. most of the time its an easy fold w/ QQ in this spot, i don't think in the long run you could ever go wrong auto mucking here. however if you have a good read on the second player and you have him covered it could possibly be ok to call.
obviously the second player is the one you have to worry about and so it really depends on what you know of his play.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:14 AM

I'm interested to hear other's thought process here as well. Do you take into consideration that if I fold, I can probably limp into the money and at least get paid? Or do you think the only focus here should be winning the whole thing and not just getting in the money? I'm leaning toward the latter, the call vs. fold issue here is less relavant I think.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Would I muck the queens !, YES if the player was semi strong or tighter, NO if a loose wild player. It would all be down to what read you have on the player. Waiting for the money, late position or small blinds should have little input with your play, queens in the hole afterall are the third best "starting" hand.

Did you make the money not winning this hand ??
Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 AM

People play MTTs for different reasons. Most of the motivation is money, so their primary goal is to either finish first or to make as much money as they can with the cards and situations they get. Personally, I make winning the tournament my goal once I've made it to the top five. Before that, my goal is to make it to the top five. And before that, it's to make it to the money. And before that is to not get bumped out early in the tournament on a bonehead play...if you get my meaning.

I set shorter term goals that don't have me taking big gambles all the time early. Late, once I've made the money, if I see a situation I can exploit (say your situation here, but in the money and knowing that the short stack had limped into the money waiting for others to bust and that the CO often tries to close out action behind him when he can get into a coin flip with overcards or a low pair) then I might see this as an opportunity to go from 7th or 8th to 4th or 5th. If that were the situation, I'd take a shot here.

On the bubble, I think that you made the right choice.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 AM

Actually I didn't. I was a touch rattled after that hand, tried stealing some pots I had no business stealing, and busted out in 13th.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 AM

I'm not sure anybody made a crazy play. CO made a read that turned out to be pretty good, he had the guy covered, and was in a race, and by pushing in himself forced out the best hand. THese guys are both looking to double up and took their shot.

In your position, you need to decide how likely it is that AA or KK is out there. It might be great if they both had AK for you. You don't mention the other stacks, but if you busted them both where would it put you in chips?

I don't think anyone will fault you for erring on the side of caution. The fact that you had them both covered though would tip me in favor of pushing all in myself here.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:11 AM

i think you made the right play, almost everytime you are beaten and even if you arent you arent that much of a favorite.

a similar situation happened to me when I had KK. One guy raised all in with AKo and got reraised by ATs (!). A third player called with TT and i folded KK. fortunately the board ended up JQ79T. SO i would have lost.

Pat
Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 AM

Agreeing with Davidross, not much happened in this hand that was out of line. Pushing with AJs in late position, late in a tournament, is not a bad thing at all to be doing. The play with TT is a little shady, but he figured himself to be the favorite or at worst a coinflip.

Cold calling 2 all ins with QQ is generally not a good practice, although I've definately made this call before. Its all read dependant. If the player with TT is gerally fiesty, and capable of a play like this, I make the call. If its a rock, fold without hesiation.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:34 AM

Default UB multi late pocket Q\'s on the button

Sleepless nights about laying down big hands happen to most experienced players, a novice would not think twice and just play it out, but being able to put down hands like queens/kings at the money end of a comp can mean that you are "thinking" and not "reacting" !

That said, I "once" put kings down when a known wild card raised all in and was beaten into the pot by a known chip leader rock to my right, given that we needed one player to be downed to make a final table, it hurt to fold them, then watch the rock show AK and the wild card show A3, a 3 landing to take the pot, guess who went out as last man standing.

I know that to be the worst call of my poker experience, it is funny how out of the 1,000's of hands we play, some just stick in your gut. In the end I did learn something from it.