Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Beginner blues

Just started playing last week. I know I had stars in my eyes and missed this one but where should I have slowed down? Very loose table.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (28.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 40.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 40.50 BB, between BB, MP3 and Hero.</font>
Results in white below:
<font color="white"> </font> MP3 and BB each show QTo and split pot with a straight.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Beginner blues

It's pretty hard to slow down here at all, with the top set. However, with MP3 and button both raising into me as the preflop raiser, I'd be worried a bit. Still bet out on the blank turn, and when you are raised, call it down.

They could just as easily have 2 pair or a flush draw from the betting on the flop. Obviously, the straight is a possibility, but you can be afraid of it until they show continued tenacity on the turn, IMO.

BTW, if you fill up, you have to go hog wild since they are happily giving you money. And there is NO WAY I could fold that hand.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:06 PM

I agree with Murph. I would have gone into check/call mode when after the flop action, a blank falls and you are raised again.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just started playing last week. I know I had stars in my eyes and missed this one but where should I have slowed down?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 players capping every street? I'd be plenty worried about the flopped straight here, I'd call instead of 3-bet the turn, there will still be 20 BB's in the pot going into the river.. You'll be stuck in the middle of a raising war on the river since BB and MP know they have the stone cold nutz... With 3 opponents and all this action, I'd suspect one probably has the straight, but I still have to call it down, if the table is highly aggressive, you also could be looking at a lower set of a 2 pair.

There's only 16 hands out of 990 that beat you, this pot is so gigantic I can't fold top set for a couple extra bets.. Exactly QT is the only thing that beats you. I can't lay it down, but that might be a big problem with my game.

Does anyone lay down a top 2% hand to a 40BB pot?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:51 PM

I probably wouldn't have capped the river here. But I think the rest of the hand is fine up until that. Your odds on the flop of filling up by the river are really good - and that's assuming you're behind (which you aren't most of the time). You've got 3 people calling bets so go ahead and put as much money in as possible.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:46 PM

Default On a separate note: WTF? BTF!

Bet the damn flop. You raised pre-flop. Everyone expects you to bet. When you don't, it looks awfully suspicious. Furthermore, if you don't bet there is a chance that it will get checked around. You will have missed bets when you hold a very strong hand and given a free card to draws. You absolutely have to bet this flop.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: On a separate note: WTF? BTF!

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the damn flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think this is the biggest mistake in the hand. I wouldn't have capped the river, but I don't think that play was nearly as bad as checking the flop.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:03 PM

I cap this through the turn. Straight, flush, whatever it is, that's a sizable pot, and you've got an awesome shot at trumping them both. Seven outs on the turn, ten on the river if you miss the turn. Not too shabby.

On the river, I've got to just call here. They probably have the straight. But they might have 2 pair or a lower set. Never know.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:38 PM

brichr:

I agree with some of the other posters about leading the flop. No need to get fancy with the c/r....you will not be happy if it gets checked through. Bet and hope you get the chance to 3-bet.

As for when to slow down......I would probably bet the river and call a raise. I do not think the 3-bet is awful, especially at party, but this guy has raised at every opportunity and seems unimpressed with your likely set of Js or Ks.

--Rico
Old 06-03-2004, 04:56 PM

Ooop. I missed the flop checkraise here. I think you're better off to bet it. Often in a situation like this you'll get raised if you bet and then be able to 3bet. If you check-raise, what can happen is you only get people calling two bets instead of 3.