Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Did I play this ok?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 17.50 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Scooped by UTG (17.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 9c As Ad 2d (Low: 8, 7, 5, 2, A | High: three of a kind, aces).
Hero shows 4h Kc Kd Th (Low: 8, 7, 5, 4, A | High: three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: UTG wins 17.50 BB. </font>

Obviously I was going for a high hand, I am new to the game and just wondering if my play was okay.

Thanks in advance.

laceratedsky
Old 05-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Did I play this ok?

Why are you three betting the river when a low hand is possible (and you don't qualify) and you have the 4th nut high hand? Personally, I make a check (crying) call on the turn and river after that Ace falls.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:49 AM

To be quite honest, I didn't notice the low possibility until AFTER the hand was over. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm a retard.

laceratedsky
Old 06-01-2004, 03:13 AM

4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is not really a very good starting hand in Omaha-8. Probably barely worth a half bet from the small blind if you feel you can out-play your opponents after the flop. But probably not worth calling a pre-flop raise in any event.

Preflop raises by unsophisticated players most often involve A2XX or AAXX.

You get lucky and catch a king on the flop, but there are two low cards, a spade flush draw, and someone with 67XX might be playing an open-ended straight draw (although I wouldn't here - but whatever). At any rate you have enough to continue after the flop but your cards are not all that great.

If you check-raised because you thought you had a great hand, you made an error. Not a big deal. Not a terrible mistake.

But the bet on the turn..... Wow!

Low has been made and there's an ace on the board. What did I write earlier about the kinds of hands insophisticated players raised with before the flop?

Think you might be up against a set of aces here?

O.K. so you missed it and then bet the river too. No big deal. Good lesson for you. Watch the cards and how your opponents bet them - and try to figure out what your opponents are betting on.

Buzz
Old 06-01-2004, 08:38 AM

Point one:
This hand is a classic example of a flawed hand. It is often referred to as a three-legged hand or a hand with a dangler. Your 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is not coordinated with your other three cards. A four-card hand makes six two-card combinations (ABCD: AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, CD). If you only have three coordinated cards, you can only make three two-card combinations with them (XYZ: XY, XZ, YZ). So you have half the number of two-card combinations as your opponents with four coordinated cards. Generally this is too big of an edge to give up. You should not be calling raises when your hand has a dangler.

Point two:
You have no low. You need to use two cards from your hand. You can not just use the 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with the A578 on the board.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:02 PM

Easy fold pre-flop with a raise and a call.